SPL agree to reconstruction package

This is not good news in my book.

No talk of governance, articles, who's on the committees?

Who's the big chiefs?

i'll guarantee we will end up with less money than this season.

Makes you wonder why we have more subscribers than the rest put together. Not to talk about away support.

If this goes through I'll never be in an away ground again. Nor will I subscribe again to SKY or BT.

Whatever they came up with it'll be Rangers who'll be subsidising it. It all boils down to what are we prepared to do about it.

Does anyone in their right mind think this is the way forward for Scottish football ?

I don't get it at all. There's talk of extra money for Div 1 clubs: where is this coming from? Why the panic for change before next season kicks off? There's something we are not being told behind all this.

Not sure it matters what. David Longmuir thinks. The SFL first division clubs will support this proposal, while the division 2 and 3 clubs will be happy doing what they are doing now and are likely to be indifferent.

The SPL want this operating from next season and as a member club there is little we can do about it.

It is a certainty that Doncaster will get the nod as CEO. The hefty increase in salary,which he received recently, demonstrates that he is seen as useful. He has shown that he is skilled as being a yes man.

plenty of questions still to be answered

what will new governing body be called ? will all 42 clubs be full members including us ? who will be in charge ?

is there really an £11m SPL debt? will it be one club one vote ? who are sponsors ? how will SKY deal be affected ?

many more I'm sure

I'm sure they can work out the details if there is genuine agreement there. Question for me, aside from all those you guys have already mentioned, is will we get any transparency over this process? Will anyone come out provide the information everyone is asking for?

Somehow I think not.

Look forward to Longmuirs statement, and what about the 11 Million debt the SPL has who is paying for that ?

Don't hold your breath mate. Longmuir's out on his ear. This ain't a merger it's a takeover by the SPL aka Doncaster-Liewell- Petrie.

The SFL board and lower-league clubs will have to react favourably to the plan, although failure to do so could spark the threatened breakaway. The clubs would also need to approve the plan by a 22-7 majority, with Rangers excluded from voting because they are still associate members.

Change appeared to be stifled when the new split system was rejected by St Mirren and Ross County. The financial redistribution plan was based on creating extra revenue from the so-called middle-eight.

And Doncaster claimed the SPL clubs should be applauded for opening themselves up to the increased possibility of relegation.

"There's a real desire for change but it's not quite as simple as just play-offs," he said.

"There is obviously working within a single merged league, which is what supporters tell us they want, but also redistribution down the leagues to favour the second tier so that full-time professional football remains sustainable at that level.

"The SPL clubs were today very sympathetic to the plight the First Division clubs find themselves in financially.

"There is a genuine desire to ensure there's a proper promotion and relegation between the divisions. The SPL has the smallest proportion of clubs relegated anywhere in Europe.

"So there is a need to ensure there is refreshment and clubs have been bold today. They have agreed they are prepared to take on the greater risk of relegation within a merged league.

"There would need to be a continued system of parachute payments, but also by redistributing money into the First Division, then it's a less painful landing if you are relegated.

"Play-offs certainly give you more to sell - more broadcast rights, more sponsorship rights, and of course there's more people coming through the gates. That should mean a net gain for everyone."

The SPL's sponsorship deal with Clydesdale Bank expires in the summer and, with the brand having suffered amid the Rangers crisis and failure to instigate reconstruction, a merged body is seen as a more attractive prospect to potential backers.

Doncaster said: "What this does mean is that we can work together, assuming there is agreement, in ensuring suitable sponsorship arrangements exist across the whole league."

Although First Division clubs have been determined to force change, the SFL board and some lower-league clubs have been more cautious. But Doncaster is sure they can introduce the new model before next season.

"We need to work quickly, there's a lot of work to be done," he said. "But if everyone is agreeable, there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't take place in time for the summer."

Fixtures are due out in five weeks but, given the 12-10-10-10 structure would remain, Doncaster admitted the merger could even be ratified after that.

"Theoretically, yes," he said. "Obviously it's desirable to have it achieved as soon as possible, and if everyone is agreeable that it is the right way forward then it can happen."

''Play offs certainly give you more to sell ?

Ha Ha this guy's brilliant. Get me a ticket when he's next in town.

No one is interested in two bob clubs whose usual home attendance is around the 1000 mark. The only people interested in these games are those who will go to that game. Does this halfwit not get that ? these are parasite clubs leeching off the Rangers TV money.

Have they a sponsor to replace the CB yet? And if they do how much less will they pay? And what do SKY make of all this ? looks much the same to me apart from a few wee teams in play-offs. That'll certainly get the viewing figures up - NOT. What if SKY want to renegotiate given the fact that it's pretty much the same dross ? how will the financial promises be kept ?