Great article from Jeff Randall

Great article from Jeff Randall

Being an Essex boy, it might seem strange that my favourite football team isn't even in England. When I went to Ibrox stadium recently, it was with a strange sense of deja vue. Here among the noisy throng was the authentic voice of working class culture. Without wishing to sound like a luvvy, at Ibrox it still is very much the people's game. The passion that shines through every man, woman and child within the ground would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Going to some English Premier League games is akin to a night at the opera, and yes the ticket prices are similar. The aspiring middle class and the chattering elite have hijacked our game in England. The ordinary man has been squeezed out, at the expense of the noveaux riches. I recently attended a game involving a prominent London club, the atmosphere within the huge stadium was like that of a wake. The silence was deafening. Many of those in my immediate vicinity seemed more concerned with texting, preening themselves or simply ordering their prawn cocktails from the nearby club restaurant.

I couldn't help but compare this soul-destroying experience with the warm, all embracing ambience in Glasgow.

I once described Rangers as the 'quintessential British club", some cynics assumed I was being sarcastic. Far from it, I meant it then and I mean it now. On the political scene, England is beset with issues of identity, race and culture. How ironic that British identity can be best found North of the border. The ancient virtues of Queen and country are alive and well at Ibrox. The recent funeral of Margaret Thatcher revealed a deep, undercurrent of support for traditional values. Add to that, a fundamental respect for the Armed Forces then one can clearly see a seamless and consistent thread throughout. These very values are mocked by the chattering classes who spout forth (with glass of claret in hand) that institutions like Rangers are primitive and out-dated.These people wouldn't recognize a real football supporter if they fell over one in the street.

Rangers are currently undergoing a little 'local difficulty', where frankly a few dubious characters have thrown the club into chaos. The response to the mess has been fantastic by the vast Rangers support. Money has been raised through a shares issue and massive attendances have shown the defiance of Rangers fans against the vindictive action by those who run Scottish football.

One thing has become apparent during this cathartic process, Rangers will emerge leaner, fitter and wiser. In the future Ibrox will remain packed to the rafters, long after the muesli-munchers have fled the football stadiums in London. Following Rangers is not just about following a club, it is following a tradition and a history. The rest of Britain could learn from this venerable institution.

from FF

By Martin Smith

12:01AM GMT 02 Mar 2007

comments.gifComment

When Jeff Randall responded to a throw-away question in a Q&A for the Radio 5 Live website, little did he expect to have the answer repeated in two-foot high letters on a banner spanning half the width of the Copland Stand at Ibrox. Asked which team he supported, the BBC's Business News presenter said: "Glasgow Rangers...they are the quintessential British club."

It was immediately pounced upon by The Blue Order, a collection of die-hard Rangers fans dedicated to making Ibrox a loud, fun and intimidating arena, and their banner duly made its debut at the Uefa Cup tie against Hapoel Tel Aviv last week.

"It was not really a throw-away line because I meant it," says Randall (pictured), The Daily Telegraph's editor at large.

"Quintessential means the very essence, something in its purest form. And the thing about Rangers, it is based in Scotland, but first and foremost it is a British club. A lot of fans come over from Northern Ireland to support, and a lot of English fans, too. Like Barcelona, it is mas que un club [more than a club]: it stands for something in society. It embraces the whole concept of the union of the United Kingdom, and if you go to Ibrox you'll see the union flag is the one flying highest above the stadium."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2308522/Football-Diary-The-best-of-British.html

Jeff Randall is the type of guy who would be ideal to serve on our board as a non executive director. He is someone with a good business brain, someone who would know the right questions to ask and who would not be afraid to ask them. Someone who identifies with the traditions of our great club. It may be that it would be unrealistic to ask him to contribute in this way, due to his heavy TV commitments but if we are to progress it is men or women of his calibre and with an impeccable background that we should be seeking to recruit.

I've said this before, but that phrase.."the quintessential British club" should be put on a plaque at Ibrox, similar to the "This is Anfield' at L'pool.

the words 'if offended, please explain' should be on the plaque too

Nice one.

Nice to see high profile Bears coming out and not being scared to shout it from the rooftops.

Wonder what kind of flak Jeff and SKY are getting?

Bet your average offended tim has gone into overdrive.

It's what they do.

You know it doesn't make sense.