Jon Daly set for Rangers move after medical

Embarrassing signing. Only twice hit double figures in the SPL and is 30.

We should be focusing on players that can make us a force again and/or have significant resale value.

To be honest, I don't see the point in us signing anyone over 25 at the moment, unless they have clear demonstrated ability.

Jon Daly is a league 2 level player, given that was the league he played in at his peak.

Embarrassing signing. Only twice hit double figures in the SPL and is 30.

We should be focusing on players that can make us a force again and/or have significant resale value.

To be honest, I don't see the point in us signing anyone over 25 at the moment, unless they have clear demonstrated ability.

Jon Daly is a league 2 level player, given that was the league he played in at his peak.

What really baffles me is that we are linked and probably sign one or two veterans that have (just) crossed the 30-year mark and people say we need to look at better/other/younger players. WE DO! We blooded 19 (NINETEEN) youngsters this season. We've signed a 21-year old, and a mid-20s goalie too. All other targets (bar Boyd) are young players too. So why not get facts straight instead of lamenting about the odd old head?

Neat GoT-name, BTW.

I'm still amazed that footballers over 30 are now described as veterans. I remember the days when a player's peak was generally considered to be 28-30, so given the improvement in sports science and training, not to mention the fact we're in spl2, I don't think this Is a bad signing. So long as we're not paying silly money, we're getting a proven spl player who is willing to drop a couple of divisions to play with us. We've all seen how tough div3 was, I really don't expect div2 to be much different tbh.

One thing people forget that while there is a chance to nurture some youngsters, there is absolutely no room at all for failure in promotion. None whatsoever. When you have that kind of pressure all the idealism quietens down in your head.

We need a balance.

I'm also an advocate of older heads mentoring the younger ones or how do they learn? Youngsters play with each other against other youngsters in under 21 leagues etc all the time - so why else do they need a run of first team starts to develop further?

You just need to look at Man U's "team of kids" to see an example of this with Bruce, Cantona and Van der Saar to name a few oldies in the team - oh yeah and Brian McClair...

PS People always misunderstand that Man U team. It was never a case of, "Lets develop our youngsters by playing loads of them," it was, "We have an unprecedented crop of exceptional youngsters, they are so good they could help win the league we, should play them."

Notice it hasn't happened since...

Guest Geo the Ger

Welcome to Gers, Jon. Give the club all you've got and the most loyal fans in the world will back you to the hilt. They only thing you're guaranteed at this famous old club is success! Gers, 55 and counting. 56 coming next. 57 blue heaven. 58 and the mother of all parties is gonna be great.

I think Daly is potentially a great signing. We've been lacking leadership in the squad and by bringing in the captain of Dundee Utd we will help to address that. On top of that I think he's a vastly under-rated player. His influence and style of play has helped Utd develop both Russell and MacKay Steven, Daly can hold the ball up, lead the line and deal with the robust nature of the game up here. I think he's the perfect foil for Little and possibly Barrie McKay and David Templeton too.

Yes, he's unlikely to have a sell-on value but as he cost us no transfer fee I'm not sure that's a big problem.

I'm baffled by criticism of this signing.

my issue is by the time we are in the spl he will be no use to us. as such in the meantime hes just stealing game time from someone who might be. like little or clark.

that and i can only imagine hes costing way way more than we need to be spending to get out of sfl2.

Don't know about that mate. He's only 30, most footballers hit their zenith in their early 30's so he'll have a few more good years in him I suppose, given he's a skillful lad. I'm quite excited about this signing to be honest.

Edited by DUDE

From todays DR:

JON DALY has confirmed his move to Rangers on a two-year deal provided he gets the all-clear following a recent medical.

The Dundee United skipper â?? given pelters from the Celtic supporters on his last day at Tannadice â?? will also have a one yearâ??s option at Ibrox.

Daly said: â??Iâ??ve had a medical and Iâ??m waiting for Rangers to confirm everything is fine. Iâ??ve

no concerns.

â??They were quite pleased with the shape of me. They want to scan my right knee because of problems I had.

â??So weâ??ll see how that comes back.â?

Dubliner Daly would be the first high-profile Catholic from the Republic of Ireland to sign for Rangers in the modern day.

He was booed every time he touched the ball amid chants of â??Jon Dalyâ??s a zombieâ? from Celtic fans as their team took United apart.

Daly, 30, said: â??I got what I expected. Itâ??s part and parcel of the game and goes in one ear and out the other.â?

His exit after six years at Tannadice was emotional for the player who brought his children on to the pitch.

Daly said: â??This is a fantastic club and I owe Craig Levein for signing me and Peter Houston for giving me the memory of winning the Scottish Cup.

â??Now I can go and learn more from Ally McCoist and I can move forward under his management.

â??Iâ??ve provided security for my family and if Rangers win back-to-back promotions Iâ??ll be in the SPL when my contract option comes up for discussion. Thatâ??s the aim.â?

Ceptic fans showing their true colours....