Jon Daly set for Rangers move after medical

I think Daly is potentially a great signing. We've been lacking leadership in the squad and by bringing in the captain of Dundee Utd we will help to address that. On top of that I think he's a vastly under-rated player. His influence and style of play has helped Utd develop both Russell and MacKay Steven, Daly can hold the ball up, lead the line and deal with the robust nature of the game up here. I think he's the perfect foil for Little and possibly Barrie McKay and David Templeton too.

Yes, he's unlikely to have a sell-on value but as he cost us no transfer fee I'm not sure that's a big problem.

I'm baffled by criticism of this signing.

I agree with some of this but not all. I'm not sure he will be a great signing but I think he will probably do well enough over the next two years.

You are right to point out his contrast to Templeton, McKay and Little. I think that this is why McCoist wants to sign him. He wants the option to play a big guy up front. I think that this is why he signed Kyle last year too. When he signed Kyle I was surprised as I thought McCulloch would play that role but I think we can all see that when McCulloch plays it will probably be at the back or in midfield.

You also mention his resale value. In an ideal world we would only sign a young player who fulfils his potential before we sell him for a nice profit. In reality the manager needs to balance that against the need to achieve short term goals. When you consider that alongside the constraints that we still face in the transfer market is it any wonder that we will make signings that are imperfect? I'm not sure that it is a big problem either.

People need to get this idea out of their heads that we could go back to the top with a team of youngsters. That would never work. We need experienced players too & that's why Daly has been signed. We also need to realise not all the youngsters we've seen over the past season will make it. Even if only 2 or 3 of them are still with us in a couple of years that may well be considered a success

I think leadership qualities and the ability to motivate others and foster respect within the squad are key factors here. As such, despite how it may see to those with stick in hand, I see this as a positive move in terms of developing youngsters. Lifestyle and attitude determine a player's future more than anything else. Jig can't do it all on his own. Hopefully we can sign a centre half in a similar mould, or even more hopefully, get boca to drop his wage demands considerably as he would be perfect.