Club Statement - Walter Smith

I'm not sure the motives are anymore than fan appeasement.

I get where you are coming from, but 'fan appeasement (if taken in the context of concilliation)' is healthy I think as long as it has no clandestine undertones to it. Without it there is fan provocation and unrest, and I would rather be appeased (but not duped, which I don't think this is an attempt to do).

â??I am a Rangers fan. My family are all Rangers fans and not a single one of us would ever consider turning away from the club no matter the difficulties placed before us. It is my intention to continue supporting Rangers and to help in every way I can.â??

For me I can't help feel that this comment is as honest as the day is long, but that this 'conservative' true Rangers supporting financial businessman was too 'old school' and naive to the murky back-stabbing ways of today's corporate world, especially boardroom struggles that Dan Brown would struggle with. Some of the stuff he has taken lacked class from top to bottom. Granted he didn't do himself any favours, but did anyone seriously think for one minute that he had anything other than Rangers at heart?

fan appeasement is vital. we will be bust again by the end of the year without the fans.

After all that's what football is about isn't it. Firstly on the park of course, but as a club in general as well. It's about being emotional and Walter is most definitely that when it cimes to Rangers.

Can't say I'm overly excited about Walter's appointment. I'm not sure he's what we need. He's first & foremost a football manager not someone you'd identify as being boardroom material.

We need someone who'll fight the club's corner against it's many enemies some of which were actively trying to put it out of business altogether last summer. That person needs to have contacts in the business world to raise investment. We had such a person but he's gone now unfortunately

Chairman is a big role to be playing appeasement with.

It's all down to your definition of 'appeasement'. You seem to see it as a negative i.e. pulling the wool over our eyes. I don't see it that way. The statement that was put to the Club from certain fans groups was "we need stability and fast otherwise your season tickets could suffer". They react swiftly to put the one person at the helm who (for now) can give the feeling of stability. Who else could they put in there quickly? I would have Dave King at the drop of a hat, but he is never going to knock down doors in a hurried manner.

We need someone who'll fight the club's corner against it's many enemies some of which were actively trying to put it out of business altogether last summer. That person needs to have contacts in the business world to raise investment. We had such a person but he's gone now unfortunately

Are you fishing ya cheeky monkey? If you are, I reckon you may get a bite or two!!

I'm not sure the motives are anymore than fan appeasement.

Of course it's fan appeasement. Just like when Charles appointed MM and Walter to the board last year.

However, given everything that's happened, I'm pleased both decisions were made - then and now.