Ibrox: Jurassic Park?

The problem with our fans though, is that they have not learned to adapt to the changing rules of the game.

It used to be you could pass back to the keeper and he could pick it up. Overuse of this was deemed so distasteful and bad for the game it was frequently booed and complained about and so was eventually banned. Now when you pass back and the keeper picks it up you are punished every time. As a team you have to adapt to the new rule and find another way of relieving the pressure. Keepers learned to boot the ball high up the pitch, defenders make themselves available for a short return pass etc. Fitness levels had to increase to deal with the more demanding game as the ball was in play more of the time. Basically players and teams adapted to the new rules and philosophy.

A similar thing has happened to our fans to deal with something that was deemed to be distasteful and bad for the game. However, our fans have been blinded by their own arrogance. They are playing the way they did before even though the rules have changed and they have been punished for it. Like the pass back, you can't pretend the rule is not there just because you don't like it. Time has moved on and you have to adapt. A footballer can't say, how dare they tell me how to play the game, because the fact is FIFA and UEFA make the rules, so they can.

The answer is to be clever, and if it was EVER about "banter" and the fans are not lying about that, then find new banter that is within the rules. Find stuff that winds up the opposition and our rivals but is not despised by all and sundry - and doesn't break the rules.

Our own fans have claimed for years that our football has become ugly, but some of the way our fans support is ugly as well as break laws of the land and the game.

If we demand our team play the beautiful game then maybe we should be a more beautiful support...

But even if you disagree, if you break the rules you will be punished and despised - we have found that out big time even though we were set up by a few parties that did not have our interest at heart.

If our support wants to define itself by the hatred of another team then find a legal way to slag them off and wind them up. If you want to define yourself by your patriotism, religion and politics, then at least promote them in a positive sense - that is also within the rules.

Just play the game well, instead of like a shit player who just doesn't get the rules.

derBerliner wrote:

There is something that is actually missing. While quite a few people do sing these songs because they represent their mindset, some of the tunes are rousing stuff that really gets people going. Many of the songs were actually written for that reason too, even though not intended for football grounds. So if these songs are seen within the football context, and solely the football context, much of the rather questionable lines are watered down quite a bit.

I suppose it is a very difficult line to tread between not drawing down trouble on the club/plain old loutish behaviour and giving up everything just because someone else is bothered. But I think if we cut out the behaviour which causes real concern amongst society, rather than amongst the permenently offended, we'd still retain the likes of eg No Surrender.

Your point about anthems is also valid, but I'd go back to the point about Empire - just because others do it doesn't mean its either (a) all right or (b) worth hanging on to. Anthems seem to be mince the world over.

Edited by andy steel

AS that is a very well thought out piece and there are more than a few valid points contained threin. So too are the replies by dB.

I think most fans if they were asked to be involved in an intellectual discussion about the present situation would probably adopt your argument. However, on the day of a game I think they have other thoughts in mind that involve more passionate sentiments. I think dB hits the nail on the head here when he describes his feelings while at a game - "I sang it in a football context, as they are rousing tunes that incite togetherness on the day".

There are grounds around Scotland that barely raise a murmur during a match, there are grounds such as Celtic park which are facing falling gates because they have no challenge in their one horse race and therefore their fans are losing their passion.

So, having made the statement - "The dinosaurs are gone. We can leave them to history, or we can join them." - to whom do you think it most applies, the crowds who are quiet and lack a challenge, or to the thriving, pulsating crowd who rightly or wrongly sings from an old fashioned P/U/L songsheet?

Some may say if it's not broke don't fix it.

An interesting question indeed.

I have to say, I haven't heard a 'thriving, pulsating crowd' at Ibrox, with the exception of the Motherwell game last year, for a long long time. The reason, I would guess, is the repetitive nature of the opposition and the lousy quality of the game, reasons which could be applied across the whole of the game in Scotland, rather than any identity issues on the terraces.

We saw midweek a decent crowd for St Johnstone & an excellent crowd for Hibs' European games - different teams, players you don't know, something different. The game in Scotland is stuck in a rut of 'familiarity breeding contempt' nature and in all honesty I can't see even the adoption of a P/U/L or equivalent songbook raising the morale of the perenially pessimistic Scots football fan.

The problem with our fans though, is that they have not learned to adapt to the changing rules of the game.

This is perfectly illustrated if we take the point made by dB about the powerful nature of some of these chants.

Why, for example, did they go after the Billy Boys all of a sudden, Because they knew that this was the most potent chant in football, and it was ours. They had to neutralise it, and they did.

if we'd been smart we'd have changed the line about "up to our knees in f****n blood". But we weren't and we didn't and the result is, we no longer have our most potent weapon.

This is perfectly illustrated if we take the point made by dB about the powerful nature of some of these chants.

Why, for example, did they go after the Billy Boys all of a sudden, Because they knew that this was the most potent chant in football, and it was ours. They had to neutralise it, and they did.

if we'd been smart we'd have changed the line about "up to our knees in f****n blood". But we weren't and we didn't and the result is, we no longer have our most potent weapon.

Agreed the Billy boy's was the best chant we have ever had and I still find myself singing it in the shower. I have no further interest in politics or religion but we should have been smart enough to go with modern times and keep our chant by changing the words.

Unfortunately too many would stick to the old text.

Great posting and discussion in this thread by the way, that is what makes the Gersnet special.

Hearts fans still sing the song, 'up to their knees in Hibee blood'; similarly, Killie supporters wail, 'up to our knees in Ayr United blood'.

We can sing this song again if we change the line to eg, 'up to our eyes in BBC lies'. I wonder if BBC Scotland would begin their news bulletins with footage of Bears in full voice accompanied with lyrics along the bottom of the screen and a bouncing ball?

Good read Mr Steel, very good read.

For what it's worth - my grandkids (4 & 7) are season ticket holders at Parkhead in the 'family section' with their dad.

My son-in-law has complained about the language going on in there with pro IRA chanting and heavy swearing and is considering not renewing this year.

Society in Scotland is piss poor when it comes to football

It's amazing the difference in debate on this forum compared to another.

This seems to be a hot topic once again. We as a support need to realise the singing of these songs is against the clubs wishes and we will be punished by the authorities.

We need to start boxing clever, anyone who continues the unwanted chants are not only moronic but selfish.

We are still a bit away from being able to call ourselves an all inclusive club.