Mike Ashley looks set to leave Newcastle for Rangers

NEWCASTLE supporters made their feelings clear at Blackpoolâ??s Bloomfield Road on Sunday by unveiling a banner declaring: â??Support the team, not the regimeâ??.

And it has emerged they might get their wish to see Mike Ashley leave their club as the controversial multi-millionaire continues to develop his interest in Rangers, who Newcastle will play in a pre-season friendly at Ibrox next Tuesday.

Ashley is now the third-biggest shareholder in Rangers with an 8.9 per cent stake as the club work their way back to the Scottish Premier League following the financial collapse last year which sent them into the fourth tier of league football north of the border.

Ashleyâ??s huge Sports Direct leisure company have a deal with the club to sell their official merchandise which they won off rival JJB Sports, owned by Wigan chairman Dave Whelan.

Ashley also secured a deal last March for the naming rights to the 51,000-capacity Ibrox stadium, although he has yet to announce his plans over any name change.

It all points to an increased interest in Rangers, and close associates of Ashley say it is the enormous potential the club enjoys which he finds appealing, despite their ignominious fall.

Ashley is acutely aware of the merchandising and commercial possibilities at a club which could still call on average gates of about 43,000 last season, despite the fact they were playing largely part-time opposition.

Newcastle fans have one eye on Ashleyâ??s close ties with Rangers, as his unpopularity is such that the vast majority would happily see him sell up and move north of the border.

While Ashley has pumped in the region of £200? million of his fortune into Newcastle, he continues to make baffling decisions which alienate him from supporters â?? his latest and most bizarre appointment was that of 66-year-old Joe Kinnear as director of football.

Steve Wraith of Newcastle United Football Club Fans United believes Ashley will depart the North-east in much the same way he arrived in 2008.

â??It wouldnâ??t surprise anyone connected with the club to see Mike Ashley go as rapidly as he came in,â? said Wraith. â??And letâ??s face it, he wouldnâ??t be buying an interest in Rangers just for the sake of it. He has put his marker down at Ibrox and it may only be a matter of time before he regards that as a better option than Newcastle.â?

He has put his marker down at Ibrox and it may only be a matter of time before he regards that as a better option than Newcastle

Wraith says that Ashley was beginning to win over fans when Newcastle finished fifth in the Premier League 15 months ago, but since then has made some oddball decisions which have injured his reputation.

â??He has been hurt by the criticism which has come from fans, but appointing Joe Kinnear is just mind-blowing,â? said Wraith.

â??He has got rid of Derek Llambias and replaced him with Kinnear, who is considered a comical appointment by the rest of the football world.â?

Ashley has yet to make any public announcement regarding his involvement with Rangers, hardly surprising bearing in mind he has yet to speak to the media since taking over Newcastle five years ago.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/418395/Turmoil-at-the-Toon-as-Mike-Ashley-looks-set-to-leave-Newcastle-for-Rangers

Not convinced by this rumour.

Newcastle are similar to Rangers in terms of passionate fans yet Ashley couldn't turn their passion and the riches of the EPL into consistent success or Euro qualification. As such, I can't see how he'd think he could do better at Rangers unless he simply wants a better shot at domestic glory.

I disagree Frankie, It is very difficult for a team like Newcastle to qualify for Europe given the strength of the league they are in. If Ashley was to take over Rangers he could have a crack at Europe every year for a fraction of the cost.

We must also however remember that despite his football clubs failings he is an astute businessman who could probably turn Rangers in to a profitable business very quickly.

I disagree Frankie, It is very difficult for a team like Newcastle to qualify for Europe given the strength of the league they are in. If Ashley was to take over Rangers he could have a crack at Europe every year for a fraction of the cost.

We must also however remember that despite his football clubs failings he is an astute businessman who could probably turn Rangers in to a profitable business very quickly.

It's a fair point but I'm not convinced. :)

Could this story have been floated to help the shareprice?

Possibly but I'm not sure how much some stories would help that on an ongoing basis. Perhaps a short-term boost but unless there's anything concrete then the price will continue to fall.

Could this story have been floated to help the shareprice?

Unless i am missing something why would they care what the share price is.. most of the lager investors are long term investors who arent going anywhere anytime soon.

It's a fair point but I'm not convinced. :)

Well, if that article is correct and he's sunk £200 million?! (can that be true?) into Newcastle, imagine what that would have done for us.

Even a tenth of that sum would very nearly buy the Scottish title these days.

I have an axe to grind here. I am a trade unionist, no not Unite, I work in the private sector. Have a look at today's press folks. 90% of the staff employed by Sports Direct are on zero hours contracts. They have no employment rights at all. This guy to my mind is simply a corporate predator and we have seen too many of his ilk recently.