Mike Ashley looks set to leave Newcastle for Rangers

I have an axe to grind here. I am a trade unionist, no not Unite, I work in the private sector. Have a look at today's press folks. 90% of the staff employed by Sports Direct are on zero hours contracts. They have no employment rights at all. This guy to my mind is simply a corporate predator and we have seen too many of his ilk recently.

Sorry mate, but this isn't Indonesian sweat shops we are talking about here. The people who go to work for SD know what their terms and conditions are before they sign up (as my son did before refusing to work for them). Huge numbers of the football kits probably are manufactured in [not so] glorified sweatshops so how far do you take this? Do you refuse to accept anyone who has any connections in the merchandising of sportswear?? Lets not even begin to talk about the workers in Sports Direct in the same breath as kids in real sweatshops, because it is just plain nonsense.

You have completely missed my point. The people I am talking about are UK based staff. I never mentioned anywhere like Indonesia. UK staff and they amount to some 20,000 mainly kids. It stinks!

You have completely missed my point. The people I am talking about are UK based staff. I never mentioned anywhere like Indonesia. UK staff and they amount to some 20,000 mainly kids. It stinks!

You completely missed my point. Like my son, they weren't forced into it like kids in real sweatshops. They are told their T&Cs before they sign up for it. I don't agree with the T&Cs but there are other jobs out there (unlike real sweatshop kids). You also didn't take up my point about the manufacturing of sportswear. How far do you take your ethics - as admirable as they are (and that is not sarcasm)?

Not convinced by this rumour.

Newcastle are similar to Rangers in terms of passionate fans yet Ashley couldn't turn their passion and the riches of the EPL into consistent success or Euro qualification. As such, I can't see how he'd think he could do better at Rangers unless he simply wants a better shot at domestic glory.

you could spend 500 million and not win the epl or maybe even not make the cl.

at rangers 30 million would win you the league and get you in the cl.

people like winning.

I don't agree that they were not forced into it, even a zero hours contract means that they can be ticked off as working, even if they are not guaranteed any level of wage at all. This suits certain vested interests. Your point about sweated labour may be better suited in a thread of it's own but I was attempting to highlight my fears about the business practices of Mike Ashley in the UK and my concern that he is simply another predator. If you start a separate thread . I will certainly look at it and if I feel I can contribute something then I will. I may not come back to this for some hours as I was night shift last night and again for the next few nights. I need some sleep. Finally I accept that no sarcasm was intended and thank you for that.

I don't agree that they were not forced into it, even a zero hours contract means that they can be ticked off as working, even if they are not guaranteed any level of wage at all. This suits certain vested interests. Your point about sweated labour may be better suited in a thread of it's own but I was attempting to highlight my fears about the business practices of Mike Ashley in the UK and my concern that he is simply another predator. If you start a separate thread . I will certainly look at it and if I feel I can contribute something then I will. I may not come back to this for some hours as I was night shift last night and again for the next few nights. I need some sleep. Finally I accept that no sarcasm was intended and thank you for that.

I don't feel the need to discuss further on another thread or this one. We both have different ways of viewing the situation which is fine, and I don't want to sabotage a football discussion. My point was purely 'how far do you take these ethics' albeit that, like you, I don't believe he is very ethical? But, happy to leave it there.

Read that article and instantly thought: "mate, you are about half a year late with these revelations!" It looks like conjecture to me that Ashley may switch over his allegiances, for why would he give up his position at Newcastle because he's a shareholder at Ibrox? Then again, I do not know whether he's got the money to take us forward like King's or McColl's money might.

As has been pointed out, the Magpies will for years if not decades to come remain in the shadows of the Manchester teams, Chelsea, and probably Arsenal and Liverpool too. Their EPL-money will draw players, but not their name. They will get the odd gem, no doubt, but the gems that will sparkle for these aforementioned sides will sparkle brighter.

Switch that to Rangers and even while we are down, there is valid hope for silverware in the cups, and more valid hope for European football in years to come. I would assume these sort of business-folk plan long-term. The path ahead in England will stay blocked, the one in Scotland is very open (if not entirely clear) though. Still, the investment required to get Rangers going remains rather minimal, so Ashley may well keep it going as it is.