You may have been the first to mention it on this thread but it's been used on our fans websites for about 18months at least.

Like the other example I used people latch on to these derisive terms as a fashionable way to bash payers they don't like. It's is far easier and lazier to type jig was shoehorned in than to discuss the fact that the manager sees him as his no. 1 or 2 first choice centre back. Whether the manager is correct to hold this view from a footballing pov is up for debate. But I'm sorry I have no time for the view that the manager selects McCulloch for some sort of emotional or non-footballing reason.

I will give the manager the respect that he picks what he believe is the best team for the game. Yes he will get it wrong but he makes his choices based on his knowledge of football and not because he is desperate to shoehorn best bud Jig into his starting line up.

If he sees Jig as his number 1 or number 2 CB why has Jig not been playing at CB regularly this season ? Lest we forget that the team has only conceded twice in the league this season, once on Saturday when Jig was playing at CB (not blaming him for what was a fluke) and the other was another 1-in-100 goal too. So given Jig hasnt been playing that regularly at CB and we havent been conceding soft goals, what other conclusion is there for his inclusion ?

It seems that Mohsni is largely considered our best option at CB - he only became available on the weekend. So why was it that it was OK to play Faure at CB previously whilst the "#1 or #2 CB" was playing elsewhere ?

Faure has been playing very well at CB this season, very assured, comfortable, confident. I fail to see why he should be shifted to RB to accommodate McCulloch. Had we been losing goals, sure. But we havent.

Maybe it is down to what people believe in. I personally think we shouldnt have to tinker with our line-up to counter our opponents. So with that said I dont see why we should be shifting Faure out of position.

In looking at the team line-ups from the start of the season...... I am going to change my opinion on shoe-horning McCulloch in. Jig has been selected at CB on a number of occasions this season (my short term memory is woeful.... I have watched every game this season too....) so I dont think he was shoe-horned in at CB. So I take that back.

HOWEVER.......

I think Mohsni was shoe-horned in. Hasnt played a competitive game for the club but gets a game as soon as available, whilst shunting Faure to RB, very unfair to Faure who has, as I said, been playing well at CB this season. Mohsni should have had to wait for his turn. And for those that disagree.... just look at McCoist's own words in his pre-match presser - he as good as said that if you were performing well you would stay in the team.... some will say Faure WAS still in the team, but he didnt deserve to be moved from a position he had been playing very well in.

All of this said.... it is incredible that we are still complaining about the manager's selections in a season where we have, in the league, scored on average 4.6 goals a game and conceded just 0.4 goals a game, have a goal difference of +21 and have a full 15 points from 15 so far.

Only Rangers fans eh ?

I think with the acquisitions made and the bans in place you can't yet make that judgement. You can say that McCoist appears to prefer Faure to McAusland at RB.

I think Faure is lost at RB. Nowhere near as effective there as at CB. You could be right or it could just as easily be that Ally wants to give McAusland a rest - he seems to have learned from Walter to rest the younger boys every now and then. I though McAusland has looked fairly assured at RB. I would have liked to have kept Mitchell and given him a run out at RB though as he played well enough there at the back end of last season.

If he sees Jig as his number 1 or number 2 CB why has Jig not been playing at CB regularly this season ? Lest we forget that the team has only conceded twice in the league this season, once on Saturday when Jig was playing at CB (not blaming him for what was a fluke) and the other was another 1-in-100 goal too. So given Jig hasnt been playing that regularly at CB and we havent been conceding soft goals, what other conclusion is there for his inclusion ?

It seems that Mohsni is largely considered our best option at CB - he only became available on the weekend. So why was it that it was OK to play Faure at CB previously whilst the "#1 or #2 CB" was playing elsewhere ?

Faure has been playing very well at CB this season, very assured, comfortable, confident. I fail to see why he should be shifted to RB to accommodate McCulloch. Had we been losing goals, sure. But we havent.

Maybe it is down to what people believe in. I personally think we shouldnt have to tinker with our line-up to counter our opponents. So with that said I dont see why we should be shifting Faure out of position.

In looking at the team line-ups from the start of the season...... I am going to change my opinion on shoe-horning McCulloch in. Jig has been selected at CB on a number of occasions this season (my short term memory is woeful.... I have watched every game this season too....) so I dont think he was shoe-horned in at CB. So I take that back.

HOWEVER.......

I think Mohsni was shoe-horned in. Hasnt played a competitive game for the club but gets a game as soon as available, whilst shunting Faure to RB, very unfair to Faure who has, as I said, been playing well at CB this season. Mohsni should have had to wait for his turn. And for those that disagree.... just look at McCoist's own words in his pre-match presser - he as good as said that if you were performing well you would stay in the team.... some will say Faure WAS still in the team, but he didnt deserve to be moved from a position he had been playing very well in.

All of this said.... it is incredible that we are still complaining about the manager's selections in a season where we have, in the league, scored on average 4.6 goals a game and conceded just 0.4 goals a game, have a goal difference of +21 and have a full 15 points from 15 so far.

Only Rangers fans eh ?

Good post but I think judgements on who McCoist sees as his first choice CB pairing will be confused by the early part of the season.

With the weird registration rules and trialist stuff we had a big target man available for some games and not others.

I would suggest that McCoist is perhaps not confident having Little or Clark lead the line as the main or lone forward and prefers to play a big target man with an aerial threat. Daly has performed that role quite well so far, yet when he was unavailable McCoist felt he needed to replace "like for like" in terms of of a physical presence and moved McCulloch up top to provide this.

The next month or two should allow us to see who the manager rates where. The evidence so far to me suggests when everyone is available Jig and Mohsni are his preferred centre back pairing. Daly will probably be first choice forward in most games playing with a Little, Clark or even Templeton. Faure looks to be preferred at RB beside the two mentioned CBs. Though I can see this changing dependent on match fitness of Foster an Faure's form.

McCoist is from the same school of thought as WS when it comes to experience and I expect McCulloch, Daly and Foster to regularly play these positions when available. It may be the case that we have technically superior players in some of these positions.

I would be worried about Mohsni and McCulloch beside each other - not at this level but as we move up levels. Neither is pacy and, in Jig's case, very slow (in my opinion). He is a leader though that is for sure.

Not a slight on Daly but right now, if we really want Jig in the team, it should be up top. 6 goals in two games tells us he knows where the net is - Daly hasnt found those shooting boots yet - Jig had a fine scoring record last season too.

Faure and Mohsni would be my CB pairing at present.

That said, it is difficult to criticise too much when you look at the statistics I posted in my previous post.

Faure just doesn't look comfortable at RB. You play him at centre half or not at all. I think McAusland should have continued at right back.

The defensive midfield berth should be filled by either Peralta or Black. Don't want to see Arnold stuck out on the right.

I would be worried about Mohsni and McCulloch beside each other - not at this level but as we move up levels. Neither is pacy and, in Jig's case, very slow (in my opinion). He is a leader though that is for sure.

Not a slight on Daly but right now, if we really want Jig in the team, it should be up top. 6 goals in two games tells us he knows where the net is - Daly hasnt found those shooting boots yet - Jig had a fine scoring record last season too.

Faure and Mohsni would be my CB pairing at present.

That said, it is difficult to criticise too much when you look at the statistics I posted in my previous post.

Spot on about Daly, the posh mans Kevin Kyle. Jig out-scoring him 3/1 from centre half. I don't get the love-in for him, although I expect I understand why he escapes much criticism. Jig up top, or not in the team for me. Give the younger ones some game time and vital experience at the back.

Spot on about Daly, the posh mans Kevin Kyle. Jig out-scoring him 3/1 from centre half. I don't get the love-in for him, although I expect I understand why he escapes much criticism. Jig up top, or not in the team for me. Give the younger ones some game time and vital experience at the back.

Daly's general play so far has been very good....he just hasn't found the net as often as he (or us) would have liked. Jig on the other hand is finding the net, and should start in place of Daly.