Why do Rangers fans put Jim McColl on a pedestal?

It's probably a mixture of his apparent business acumen and the people he is inevitably compared too. When held up against people like Green, Ahmed, Stockbridge, Mather, the Easedales, Whyte and Jack Irvine he looks like a mixture of Andrew Carnegie and Warren Buffet with some Ghandi thrown in.

The fact he's local probably helps too.

I get the impression that a number of folk rate him highly due to his wealth (primarily) and the fact he's a fan - that's all that matters to a lot of people.

Apart from that, I get the impression that he is a very shrewd & successful business man who could offer a lot to the RFC board. I also get the impression that should McColl take a place on the board, he will not be looking to invest significant cash any time soon (if at all). He will only invest if there is a sound business case to do so.

Nothing new in this, Tony Blair swept to victory in 1997 despite offering nothing, mostly on the grounds that he wasn't John Major; David Cameron equally promised nothing other than not to be Gordon Brown.

Not being the present lot is enough for me, to be honest, although the fact that I have heard of him and he's not another parachuted in 'who?' certainly helps as well. But he's not on any pedestal - just the better option.

I get the impression that a number of folk rate him highly due to his wealth (primarily) and the fact he's a fan - that's all that matters to a lot of people.

Apart from that, I get the impression that he is a very shrewd & successful business man who could offer a lot to the RFC board. I also get the impression that should McColl take a place on the board, he will not be looking to invest significant cash any time soon (if at all). He will only invest if there is a sound business case to do so.

Not sure he would want a place on the Board, perhaps one of the reasons he is worth listening to.

a subtle wee PR stunt maybe???

Possibly but I'm told his chair is well known about in the workforce.

Clyde Blower's wee bowling club near Hampden is certainly staunch enough anytime I've visited it. :cool: