Quite. So we can add 'immoral' and 'illegal' to 'inaccurate', 'partial' and 'improperly researched'.

I understand their defence when quizzed re this was "whistleblowing"

It cant be - it was already in the public domain and subject to legal proceedings.

More like blowing our their ass.

PS in case anyone is wondering what Im referring to - this is Section 98 from LNS report.

[98] Meanwhile, BBC Scotland came, by unknown means, into possession of what they described as “dozens of secret emails, letters and documents”, which we understand were the productions before the Tax Tribunal. These formed the basis of a programme entitled “Rangers – The Men Who Sold the Jerseys”, which was broadcast on 23 May 2012. BBC Scotland also published copious material on its website. The published material included a table containing the names of Rangers players, coaches and staff who were beneficiaries of the MGMRT, and how much they received through that trust. It also listed the names of people where the BBC had seen evidence that they received side-letters. This event appears to have been the trigger for more activity in response to the SPL’s request

"Productions" is legal speak for evidence.

Read what I wrote again RPB, what I was saying was you find those on commercial stations.

Sorry, I'm still none the wiser. I looked to me that you were comparing BBC documentaries with the lack thereof on commercial media and suggesting that those made by the BBC were well researched and impartial.

I don't know what you like RPB. I hear Dr Who is great although I've not seen it since Tom Baker was in it. I enjoyed both series of Luther and Episodes and I really enjoyed Coast, I never miss Gardener's World and my kids remain riveted to CeeBeebies and CBBC now too.

HBO has produced some superb television, if only we lived in America it would relevant...

I'll give you Gardener's World and Coast - in fact, anything which involves things sprouting, swimming or swinging from branches, the BBC does very well. But my point about HBO, which I would suggest is very relevant, is that it shows a universal imperative, whereby if you produce quality, people will buy it.

HBO is made in America but it is sold all over the world, A commercial company producing the best TV ever made; whereas the BBC, which should be regularly producing TV of the highest quality fails to do so time and time again.

Sorry, I'm still none the wiser. I looked to me that you were comparing BBC documentaries with the lack thereof on commercial media and suggesting that those made by the BBC were well researched and impartial.

Rab or someone said "Let BBC Scotland go out into the real business world for its revenue. Then it would be forced to produce accurate, impartial & properly researched broadcasts as it would dependent on viewing figures for revenue." as an example of what would happen if there was no licence fee. I was simply pointing out the commercial channels in this country don't currently. I think most people are ignorant of the commercial realities of TV and radio in this country.

I'll give you Gardener's World and Coast - in fact, anything which involves things sprouting, swimming or swinging from branches, the BBC does very well. But my point about HBO, which I would suggest is very relevant, is that it shows a universal imperative, whereby if you produce quality, people will buy it.

HBO is made in America but it is sold all over the world, A commercial company producing the best TV ever made; whereas the BBC, which should be regularly producing TV of the highest quality fails to do so time and time again.

Well as I said I don't know what you like. The BBC does produce TV of the highest quality, and radio too, whether you enjoy it is very subjective. To suggest otherwise is inaccurate. HBO is very much the exception to the rule. It's not reliant on advertising either, it almost makes the case for the BBC.

I find myself playing the role of BBC defender on here simply because I don't think withholding your licence fee or banning their sport's reporters is the best way to improve their coverage of Rangers. Messageboards are strange places sometimes.

Well as I said I don't know what you like.

The Sopranos, The Wire, Treme, Carnivale, Deadwood, Borgen, En Grenage ('Spiral' in English), Heimat (the best thing ever made for TV, imho), The Shield, The West Wing, Baltimore - Life on The Street, Nurse Jackie, The Thick of it (yes, BBC production, I know), NYPD Blue, Wallander - probably missed a couple, but you get the drift.

The BBC does produce TV of the highest quality, and radio too, whether you enjoy it is very subjective. To suggest otherwise is inaccurate.

Inaccurate to suggest the BBC doesn't produce quality TV of the highest quality? Really? Hmmm.

Well, perhaps you can give me some examples of TV of the highest quality which the BBC has produced? Honestly, I'm keen to know.

As for radio, it's OK. Radio 4 can be good, 5 Live used to be good about a decade ago, 6 Music is excellent, but generally I find the radio in France and Germany to be better

HBO is very much the exception to the rule. It's not reliant on advertising either, it almost makes the case for the BBC.

Eh??? !!! ??

The HBO model not only doesn't make the case for the BBC it shows why the BBC is worse than useless.

HBO makes quality programmes. Of that there is no doubt and it's something we can all agree on.

HBO runs its own subscription cable channel based on these quality programmes and also sells these quality shows to other networks.

HBO relies on the reputation for quality to attract subscribers and has to continue to produce quality to keep those subscribers and to sell to foreign networks.

HBO also takes advertising on its channel and, because the shows are invariably good quality, other networks, can charge advertisers a premium when they show HBO shows.

HBO may not depend on direct advertising to survive, but it does depend on direct and indirect advertising to prosper.

HBO, in short, produces quality to thrive.

(HBO is undoubtedly the top of the heap, but there are others such as 'Showtime' that can produce some very good stuff.)

The BBC otoh produces mediocrity to survive. Any show like 'The Thick of It' is the exception that proves the rule.

I find myself playing the role of BBC defender on here simply because I don't think withholding your licence fee or banning their sport's reporters is the best way to improve their coverage of Rangers. Messageboards are strange places sometimes.

Now, that I can agree with - the last bit I mean ;)

When people talk about the BBC producing quality, impartial documentaries or whatever else they must be talking about the BBC from 20 or 30 years ago because it sure isn't like that any more.

As example of an high quality, impartial hard hitting documentary produced by the BBC, shown last night for the first time - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24765480

They aren't above criticism however to write off the entire corporation is simply hyperbole.

The Sopranos, The Wire, Treme, Carnivale, Deadwood, Borgen, En Grenage ('Spiral' in English), Heimat (the best thing ever made for TV, imho), The Shield, The West Wing, Baltimore - Life on The Street, Nurse Jackie, The Thick of it (yes, BBC production, I know), NYPD Blue, Wallander - probably missed a couple, but you get the drift.

Inaccurate to suggest the BBC doesn't produce quality TV of the highest quality? Really? Hmmm.

Well, perhaps you can give me some examples of TV of the highest quality which the BBC has produced? Honestly, I'm keen to know.

As for radio, it's OK. Radio 4 can be good, 5 Live used to be good about a decade ago, 6 Music is excellent, but generally I find the radio in France and Germany to be better

Eh??? !!! ??

The HBO model not only doesn't make the case for the BBC it shows why the BBC is worse than useless.

HBO makes quality programmes. Of that there is no doubt and it's something we can all agree on.

HBO runs its own subscription cable channel based on these quality programmes and also sells these quality shows to other networks.

HBO relies on the reputation for quality to attract subscribers and has to continue to produce quality to keep those subscribers and to sell to foreign networks.

HBO also takes advertising on its channel and, because the shows are invariably good quality, other networks, can charge advertisers a premium when they show HBO shows.

HBO may not depend on direct advertising to survive, but it does depend on direct and indirect advertising to prosper.

HBO, in short, produces quality to thrive.

(HBO is undoubtedly the top of the heap, but there are others such as 'Showtime' that can produce some very good stuff.)

The BBC otoh produces mediocrity to survive. Any show like 'The Thick of It' is the exception that proves the rule.

Now, that I can agree with - the last bit I mean ;)

NYPD Blue began in 1993, The Sopranos in 99 and even The Wire was over a decade ago. Look, nobody has a monopoly on making good or bad programmes. I agree about the quality of some of HBO's productions but at the same time they don't make anything my mother or my children would enjoy, the BBC do.

Programmes made by the BBC in the last 12 months that are generally considered international quality include -

Dr Who

Sherlock

Luther

Call The Midwife

Have I Got News For You

QI

Episodes

Out Numbered

Top Gear

Who Do You Think You Are

The Story of The Jews

Africa

That's all fairly recent work. If you want to extend the timeline by 20 years you've got masses of programmes from Attenbourgh to Palin to Only Fools and Horses.

Some of those programmes I like, some I don't and some I've never seen. As I said this is all very subjective.

Anyway, it has mainly got fuck all to do with Rangers.