ALLY McCOIST insists he hasn’t been told he needs to sell any players next month and is optimistic he can keep Rangers’ best talents at the club for the long term.

The manager spoke as speculation slowly rises among fans that the likes of Lee Wallace could be moved on when the transfer window opens in January.

Wallace has been outstanding so far this season and has arguably been the standout player in McCoist’s side to this point.

Still aged only 26 and back in the Scotland squad again, the former Hearts left-back is one of the most valuable members of the Light Blues squad.

But McCoist is of the understanding there’s no requirement to cash in on Gers’ most prized possessions – and he believes Wallace is desperate to stay at Ibrox in any case.

He told RangersTV: “I’ve had discussions with board members and the chief executive and there has certainly been no indication at all that we have to sell.

“If that’s the case, I’m sure I’ll be informed of that but until that moment comes we obviously want to keep hold of our better and best players.

“You’d have to say Lee certainly comes into that category and in moving forward, which the club hopes to do, we’d be delighted to keep our better and best players.

“The fans deserve the best team we can afford to put on the park and which can play the best football and entertain 36,000 season ticket holders.

“Home crowds of 45,000 would tell me the fans deserve a good product on that park and we’re trying to give them the best side we can.

“Lee’s well respected here as a player and a man and the way he conducted himself last year would indicate he’s happy here and he’d want to stay.

“I know he’s got a young family too so all things being well, he’ll be here with us for a good number of years yet.”

McCoist’s admiration for Wallace has only grown further in the last few months as the defender has turned in a series of highly consistent displays.

While the manager isn’t always one for picking out individuals, he happily accepts the ex-Jambo is worthy of exception and added: “Lee has been absolutely outstanding.

“He gained a lot of respect from everybody within the club and the supporters for the way he conducted himself through administration.

“I think he has enjoyed the responsibility of being one of the older players and helping some of the younger players who have come into the team.

“He has also merited getting back into the international squad and he’s running the left-hand side of the park for us.

“I can understand the supporters having the opinion he’d be up there among our best performers.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5783-no-need-to-sell

There's been very litle speculation and the fact that the club have issued a statement is very telling.

Read the above as "Please come and get Lee Wallace as we need the the cash to help plug the gap until sseason ticket cash comes in,"

I haven't seen any speculation that Wallace is likely to leave in January. This looks like an invention. Maybe they'll tell us that he's signed a contract extension on the eve of the AGM.

Would anyone be surprised?

I haven't seen any speculation that Wallace is likely to leave in January. This looks like an invention. Maybe they'll tell us that he's signed a contract extension on the eve of the AGM.

Would anyone be surprised?

He only just signed a new 5 year deal last September that takes his contract up to 2017, so it would be highly unusual for him to be signing another contract with us at the moment unless he was agreeing to financial reductions in the contract.

He only just signed a new 5 year deal last September that takes his contract up to 2017, so it would be highly unusual for him to be signing another contract with us at the moment unless he was agreeing to financial reductions in the contract.

In that case, there's reason for concern.