ANDY MITCHELL hopes to return to Rangers and challenge for a place in Ally McCoist’s team after a successful spell at Annan Athletic.

The Northern Ireland youth full-back has been on loan with the Galabankies for the last three months but his spell there ends after this weekend’s home game with Queen’s Park.

Scott Gallacher is another player who is due back at Ibrox next week, with his temporary stay at Airdrieonians also about to expire.

As yet, no decision has been made on whether either player will come back into Ally McCoist's first-team squad or will be sent away again to gain further experience.

Mitchell has done well in his time with League Two Annan, making 15 appearances in that competition and the Scottish Cup so far as the team has moved to fourth in the table.

Of course, the 21-year-old made a good impression last term when he played in the last four games of the season for Gers and won two man-of-the-match awards.

He didn’t think he would move on earlier this term after signing a new one-year deal with the Light Blues in the summer.

But having embraced his switch to Jim Chapman’s team, he hopes performances there work in his favour as he prepares to come back to Glasgow.

Mitchell told RangersTV: “I’ve been doing pretty well. I wasn’t expecting to go out on loan after finishing last season on a high but I’ve kicked on.

“Hopefully what I do at Annan can influence the gaffer’s decision and maybe when I come back and he sees I’ve been doing well so he might give me a chance.

“Him and Kenny McDowall are always asking me how I’m getting on down there and I think they’ve been getting reports on me.

“I only played a few games at the end of last season and if I hadn’t done well in them I could have been released.

“I showed I could do well at this football club though and hopefully being at Annan has made me a better player.

“I’m looking forward to getting back to Rangers but I’m also happy I’ve been at Annan and have been playing games.”

Mitchell has also scored his first senior goals in recent weeks, finding the net against Stirling and East Stirlingshire in respective 4-4 and 1-1 draws.

He added: “I had been coming close with a few efforts and I was hitting free kicks off the post and the bar.

“I was really happy to get my first goal and hopefully I can kick on and get a few more this season as well.

“I’ve been really enjoying my football and I’ve been bouncing into training because I’ve been playing every week.

“You work to play games and I’ve been really happy to get lots of minutes under my belt. My sharpness and fitness have definitely improved and I’ve come on leaps and bounds.

“I’ve been playing at a wing-back and it has basically been a free role down the right-hand side so I’ve been getting a lot of space and time on the ball.

“The arrangement has been great. The lads and staff down at Annan have helped me and it’s a really good community club. Everyone gets behind the team.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5805-mitch-ready-to-return

I didn't see anything in him to even slightly suggest he could make it at Rangers. Time will tell, i may be wrong but i highly doubt it. Why else would Ally re-sign one of the very worst right backs in our history and shoe horn multiple centre backs in at right back ahead of this kid?

I didn't see anything in him to even slightly suggest he could make it at Rangers. Time will tell, i may be wrong but i highly doubt it. Why else would Ally re-sign one of the very worst right backs in our history and shoe horn multiple centre backs in at right back ahead of this kid?

There's a question.

More than one man of the match award in the games he played towards the end of last season suggested that he deserved a chance to get some game time for us this season, but he was only given a short contract extension till next summer and was shipped out on loan after Foster and Peralta were signed. It's a tough break for the lad, but if he keeps his chin up, keeps a good attitude and works hard, then he maybe still has a chance to make it for us like others in similar situations have done.