Youth plan - Revolution required?

Guest AVB

It was obvious that the days where we could spent rather than develope were coming back to haunt us. Yet, in turn, we should not overlook the fact that developed youth systems at other clubs are there for the exact opposit reason: they needed that since they had nothing to spend. It is rather natural that they they are better developed right now. Do we envisage, despite all the talking, that Rangers will rely mainly (sic!) on youth developement in the future, should "SPL" and Europe come calling? At the end of the day, the rest of Scotland will look to create talent to sell it to us, while we and the Scum will do what we always did, finance the rest of Scotland by signing that talent. one way or another, this will come to pass. All we can hope for is that we unearth talented folk like Macleod and McKay before any other Scottish team does.*

NB: Of course, we all know how hard it is for self-produced talent to make a grade at Ibrox, especially in managers (past and present) are utterly hesitant to blood youngsters ahead of (utility) professionals. Hence, there is no wonder that some youngsters rather look for an early career away from Ibrox or the Scumhut ... and that also offers the chance for Championship and EPL teams to sneak in ahead of us.

I'm not so sure that we will be able to compete with the terms that the lower English leagues will offer you scottish talent! let alone the EPL.

I think a top youth development programme should be the cornerstone of our operation. Like it has been at clubs like Ajax and Lyon.

I'm not so sure that we will be able to compete with the terms that the lower English leagues will offer you scottish talent! let alone the EPL.

I think a top youth development programme should be the cornerstone of our operation. Like it has been at clubs like Ajax and Lyon.

Ajax youth scheme is a fallacy until this season where the have had to use youth players. Today a 17 year old won the game for them after scoring twice in the last 10 minutes. The best youth system for years in Holland has been Feynoord. A few years ago Ajax had actually 70 paid players all bought for the first team sitting in the stand during a game. As I said don't believe all you read about Ajax.

A proper youth policy should have been in place when Murray Park was first opened and that would have meant having a proper scouting system with ex players in their native countries finding good young talent. I know some will point to the 1 or 2 that has come through but we really should have had 20 times more better players coming through and should have been light years ahead any other SPL side. As such it pains to say Dundee Utd have even a far better youth set up.

Remember the 90- minute rule though. That has curtailed some of the youth scouting you would see elsewhere.

Re Dundee Utd youth set up I presume you base that on the players they are bringing through ? Because when I was home in October I watched Rangers U11's vs Dundee Utd U11's (Rangers had a couple of U10's playing up an age group) and in the two games played side-by-side Rangers won 8-0 and 10-0. It was shootie-in. As they get older though.... not quite so sure.

Celtic are being linked to Nahki Wells at Bradford, a League 1 team... he is on 6k a week at Bradford from what I hear. So we cant even compete financially with the lower league teams in England.

... and we all know why this is the case. "We" might not look at English leagues anyway, there are a lot of good Scandinavian, Czech, Slovak, Dutch* and German players about, even though not exactly top team stars. Yet, the latter are not exactly required to see us through Scottish titles races.

*E.g., Huistra was hardly ever a mega-star or a noted Dutch international. He was sure good enough for us.