The strange tale of the District Valuer

Could someone please summarize the OP's article in short layman's terms, please?

The suggestion if I understood it correctly was that the District Council deliberately caused the land to be over-valued by not instructing the District Valuer to allow for abnormal costs as a result of contamination. It was further suggested that a prospective purchaser such as Celtic FC might benefit because they could arrange a higher mortgage on the basis of the Council's survey but then negotiate a lower purchase price based on their own survey which did make allowance for the abnormal costs.

Apologies to D'Artagnan and stand to be corrected by him if I've got any of that wrong.

If you read my comments at #2, #5, #7 & #9 you will see that I don't agree with this analysis.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typo

The suggestion if I understood it correctly was that the District Council deliberately caused the land to be over-valued by not instructing the District Valuer to allow for abnormal costs as a result of contamination. It was further suggested that a prospective purchaser such as Celtic FC might benefit because they could arrange a higher mortgage on the basis of the Council's survey but then negotiate a lower purchase price based on their own survey which did make allowance for the abnormal costs.

Apologies to D'Artagnan and stand to be corrected by him if I've got any of that wrong.

If you read my comments at #2, #5, #7 & #9 you will see that I don't agree with this analysis.

Just to clarify - the suggestion re the mortgage values which BH alludes to - came from someone else following this article being published. I merely asked BH, given his knowledge of such matters, whether this was actually possible.

But the link re the Geotechnical Report for the property is correct, I have seen letters where the enquirer requests the report from GCC and they refuse to provide it, only offering extracts from it,

It should be remembered some of the various properties acquired by CFC from GCC for just over £1.5 million were then used as collateral/security against a loan from the co-op Bank for £34 million.

Something is clearly not right - but the problem may well be with the bank - only those in Brussels will be able to extract the kind of information which will provide us all with some clarity.

Edited by D'Artagnan

anyone who knows that district could tell you that all the land fron London road right down the banks of the clyde as far as rutherglen is rotten with contamination this is a well know fact its due to all the ittle engineering factories that were based in the area we or anyone else don't need geotechnical reports to what I have known for years the main toxic poison is chromium the council have known that for the past forty years

anyone who knows that district could tell you that all the land fron London road right down the banks of the clyde as far as rutherglen is rotten with contamination this is a well know fact its due to all the ittle engineering factories that were based in the area we or anyone else don't need geotechnical reports to what I have known for years the main toxic poison is chromium the council have known that for the past forty years

Funny you should say that Compo - but the chromium story is for another day :whistle: