The Manager and the team this season - an objective view.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy

Most teams play the same formations - either 4-4-2 or some slightly different version of 4-5-1. A change of manager won't alter that fact - even if the actual style may improve.

FWIW, I think we can do better than Ally but I'd also say the chance to replace him and allow someone else to build their team ahead of a stern test in Division One has gone. As such, I'd much rather back the existing guy and his players as much as possible. And, dwindling crowds or not, results are showing they're doing well enough.

I'll back Rangers always, and the team that is on the park. It doesn't mean I am satisfied with what I am watching.

Some of the football at the start of the season was good to watch but the last few months have been dire. Whether its because we are so far ahead in the league, I'm not sure, but its painful to watch Rangers at the minute.

Hopefully over the next few months we will see players playing with a bit more flair but I have my doubts.

Sidenote ... and sure no excuse: we should keep in mind that these last few weeks were essentially winter fixtures. And if people cast their minds back throughout the seasons, no Rangers team was known for producing polished performances in late December, January, February and the like. Likewise, throughout the years we also had dozens of drab 1-0 affairs at Dens Park, Fir Park, Kircaldy and the like. With all star players involved, even against better opposition than nowadays.

It usually is a combination of many factors, not just the quality of the team we send out to wear the Rangers Blue. What you look for is consistency from the main, core players. We might keep in mind here though that they are all not of the same ilk and quality of a Laudrup, Albertz, Gough, or McCall, who like many others were consistency personified each time they took to the field. Consistency at their own - better - quality.

Agreed, but how many opportunities could have been created at the other end, had we kept a striker up front instead of defending a corner?

Lunatic post. Citing opposition set pieces as a missed attacking opportunity. What use are your extra men up the field to attack and score when the opposition have already thumped the ball into back off your own net?

I agree with the frustration at negative tactics but think people are well wide of the mark with ths one.

Years ago "ozo" (I think that was his username) posted a fantastic tactical analysis of this on FF.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy

I've seen a couple of the top English clubs employing the eleven men back at corners tactic - most notably, Arsenal. Although I appreciate the standard of opposition is significantly higher.