This latest failure, what's PLG's part in it all?

Thought I'd create a few threads for us to chat about the various issues that have clearly all added up to mean we're looking at another trophy-less season (although there's still the UEFA cup).

How about we use this one to discuss PLG's role in the events of this season?

We were pretty much all very optimistic and excited about his appointment and this was a feeling largely also shared by the media. In fact, at the start of the season, a lot of pundits were predicting we'd win the SPL back in his first season in charge.

Could he have signed better players? Could he have got more out of the players who were already here? How about the transfer budget which he gave his approval?

I think the fact that he didn't trust, nor play, the vast majority of the players he signed showed that they weren't good enough for Rangers.

A new manager has to trust the players he signed otherwise it gives the impression that they are no better, or indeed worse than those he inherited. That IMO is a terrible admission for a manager.

Cammy F

I think regardless of who he signed, the biggest mistake PLG didn't make was not sorting out our defence. It was painfully obvious last season that we simply couldn't do the basics of defending well, but he didn't address that.

I think regardless of who he signed, the biggest mistake PLG didn't make was not sorting out our defence. It was painfully obvious last season that we simply couldn't do the basics of defending well, but he didn't address that.

He tried to by signing Svensson and Papac though (Papac I felt was going to be used at CB even though he could cover at LB).

Svensson has played better recently - but he never got the chance to settle early.

I think the biggest mistake PLG made was that he felt he would have time to build his team and that this time would be longer than 7 months. You could see he was trying to buy young players to be able to mould them into a team for the long-term. Sadly at Rangers you can't look long-term.

His signings could very well come good but when they are such a young age and with so much pressure on them from the start then it makes things extremely difficult.

PLG's failings in my opinion in no particular order:

1) Tried to force his tactics for too long (much like forcing a ball into a square hole)

2) Signings were expected to come straight into the team and most were young players he wanted to develop

3) Man management was poor

4) Felt he could rotate his team - we don't have the depth to be able to do this.

5) Aloof from the fans and also was baffling with some of his media comments.

There are more but these are some of the important ones as I see them. I am sure I have missed a few.

IMO the 2 most important things he got wrong were

1/ not hiring a Scottish / British assistant manager. When Souness took over his first signing was Walter Smith. DA came along, his first step was to ask who knew more about Rangers than anyone else. When informed that that was John Greig, he promptly told JG to get from his office and help DA look at players abilities and confirm if they had what it took to play for Rangers and in Scottish football. Look at most foriegn managers in England, they have a 'British' coach at their side - Stevie Clark, Chris Huaghton, Pat Rice, Alex Miller.....

2/ Despite knowing for ~6 months that PLG was going to be Rangers manager, he arrived with a very basic grasp of English - he couldn't communicate to the press, I'd imagine that he'd have the same difficulties communicating with the players.

Cammy F

1/ not hiring a Scottish / British assistant manager. When Souness took over his first signing was Walter Smith. DA came along, his first step was to ask who knew more about Rangers than anyone else. When informed that that was John Greig, he promptly told JG to get from his office and help DA look at players abilities and confirm if they had what it took to play for Rangers and in Scottish football. Look at most foriegn managers in England, they have a 'British' coach at their side - Stevie Clark, Chris Huaghton, Pat Rice, Alex Miller.....

2/ Despite knowing for ~6 months that PLG was going to be Rangers manager, he arrived with a very basic grasp of English - he couldn't communicate to the press, I'd imagine that he'd have the same difficulties communicating with the players.

Cammy F

Completely agree with that.

The defence is a mojor problem. we need another two centre halfs by the end of the transfer window. Leguen has left us in a plie of shit. the squad he has left is an absolute joke. he kept far too many players from Mcleishes squad and managed to bring in an even bigger pile of shit on top of that. We need about ten players in and the same amount out. dont hold your breath though

Guest loyal and blue

Cammy F[/quote All this is very true + the damage that a mcleish inflicted