Interesting developments on this Legia case today as it transpires that UEFA's rushed decision before the CL draw was made by just a single member of the Disciplinary Body committee, so Legia's appeal case might just be considerably stronger than expected!

Where is that from, Zappa?

I wonder if it was the Irish fella. Oooh.

I doubt it because I was told a UEFA spokesperson has been saying that urgent decisions are quite often taken by one Disciplinary Body committee member at UEFA HQ due to them not having time to fly in other members from abroad.

Presumably it's been the Austrian Chairman or the Swiss Vice-chairman.

Bottom line though, is that such serious decisions should always be made by an absolute minimum of 3 Disciplinary Body members, so it sounds as if UEFA have actually broken their own regulations.

The Chair or Vice Chair has the authority to do that in an emergency, which it certainly was with the draw that morning, they could not have convened a panel quickly enough, unless perhaps by video conference, which may not be allowed in the rules.

So nothing really for Legia to go on there I don't think.

That's not an acceptable excuse because the second leg of the Legia v Celtic tie could have been postponed for unforeseeable reasons and they would have had to either postpone the draw or put both names into it like 'Legia OR Celtic'.

I doubt it because I was told a UEFA spokesperson has been saying that urgent decisions are quite often taken by one Disciplinary Body committee member at UEFA HQ due to them not having time to fly in other members from abroad.

Presumably it's been the Austrian Chairman or the Swiss Vice-chairman.

Bottom line though, is that such serious decisions should always be made by an absolute minimum of 3 Disciplinary Body members, so it sounds as if UEFA have actually broken their own regulations.

There's no breach of the regulations Zappa:

UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body consists of a chairman, two vice-chairmen and seven other members.

The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has jurisdiction to rule on disciplinary issues and all other matters which fall within its jurisdiction pursuant to the UEFA Statutes or regulations adopted by the UEFA Executive Committee.

The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body shall, as a rule, reach decisions in the presence of all its members, but is entitled to take a decision if at least three of its members are present.

The chairman of the Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body, one of its vice-chairmen or one of its members acting as ad hoc chairman may make a decision as a judge sitting alone if the sanction is limited to a warning, a reprimand, a fine of up to €8,000, a player suspension or a suspension from carrying out a function for up to two matches, as well as in urgent cases.

In particularly urgent cases (especially regarding admission to, or exclusion from, UEFA competitions) the chairman can refer the case directly to the Appeals Body for decision.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/disciplinary-cases/control-and-disciplinary-body/index.html

Appeal confirmed here:

Legia Warszawa have appealed against the decision taken by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 8 August. The meeting of the UEFA Appeals Body will be held on Wednesday 13 August.

The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body had sanctioned Legia Warszawa for fielding a suspended player (Article 18 of the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League Regulations and Article 21 of the 2014 UEFA Disciplinary Regulations) in the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round return-leg between Celtic FC and Legia Warszawa played on 6 August 2014 in Edinburgh. The match had been declared as forfeit meaning Legia Warszawa have lost the match 3-0.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/#post_97079

That's not an acceptable excuse because the second leg of the Legia v Celtic tie could have been postponed for unforeseeable reasons and they would have had to either postpone the draw or put both names into it like 'Legia OR Celtic'.

I suppose they could have postponed the draw but then all the other teams and supporters would be affected.

They couldn't do the latter because Celtic were seeded and Legia were not; unless they ruled that it would go on Celtic's seeding, which I guess would have been possible; either way it affected the Bulagarian team Ludgorets and of course Maribor.

The Chair or Vice Chair has the authority to do that in an emergency, which it certainly was with the draw that morning, they could not have convened a panel quickly enough, unless perhaps by video conference, which may not be allowed in the rules.

So nothing really for Legia to go on there I don't think.

That isn't mentioned in their statement either.

I suppose they could have postponed the draw but then all the other teams and supporters would be affected.

They couldn't do the latter because Celtic were seeded and Legia were not; unless they ruled that it would go on Celtic's seeding, which I guess would have been possible.

They could and should have found a way to take more time over such a massive decision because the rushed decision made was absolute insanity.