The Date of the The Second Semi Annual Gersnet Dinner (with Special Guest *Star*)

Amidst all the doom and gloom highlighted in Blueflag’s “What’s Next?” thread, we still have The Second Semi Annual Gersnet Dinner (with Special Guest *Star*) to which can look forward.

A reminder of the story so far.

The official result of the official poll for the Dinner - time of year - was a draw:

Early Season - August/September 4 votes 40.00%

Autumn – October/November 4 votes 40.00%

In the posts on the thread some specific dates were highlighted:

Frankie had weddings on the 8th and 9th of August; JC said that he is doing the deed on the 24th August and then off for a European road trip for 10 days so anytime after about the 6th Sept suits him fine; SC said not Aug 20 – 23 or the weekend of September 19th when he’s getting married; some suggested avoiding the September weekend as well, 27/28 September; GS commented that if we have something reasonably early we can perhaps then have crimbo drinks; and STB pushed September/October time from the start.

All of which shows how difficult it is to get a date that suits everyone.

Whilst it did seem reasonable to go somewhere in between the two winning time zones, which would have argued for September or October; the fixtures weren’t kind to us in that respect with only two home games over the two months:

27 September 2014 v Hibernian (September weekend, see above)

18 October 2014 v Raith Rovers

We then have two home games in November 2014:

8 November 2014 v Falkirk

15 November 2014 v Alloa Athletic (may be postponed if Rangers have players in the Scotland squad)

which dates are within the poll result.

(I personally cannot make any arrangements between the beginning of October and mid November but that shouldn’t stop you going ahead in that period if someone else wants to take over.)

In a further poll:

• the winner by a short head 6 votes (46.2%) was 27/09/2014 v Hibernian; and in

• second place with 5 votes (38.5%) was Christmas/New Year

Only two other options received one vote each: 15/11/2014 v Alloa and End of Season

None of the other options received any support.

BT Sport then knocked out 27 September and I suggested either:

• Dec 6th v Cowdenbeath - easier from a restaurant point of view (and less likely to be moved perhaps); or

• Dec 20th v Livingston - slightly more attractive fixture, but last shopping weekend before Christmas and might be difficult for restaurants.

In the subsequent thread TB rightly said that “Most decent restaurants are in full "Xmas special menu" mode by the 6th December, meaning busy restaurants with overpriced menus. Any restaurant not busy or overpriced at this time of year probably isn't up to much.” He was supported by four others (two of whom were at the first dinner).

At the same time 75% of those voting opted to go back to Malaga Tapas.

Based on the above, I have had a discussion with Cristobal the owner of Malaga Tapas, who appreciated our custom for the first dinner and the guys who have been back in since. He makes the point that because he is not in the city centre he does not feel under the same pressure as city centre restaurants to provide a Christmas menu or indeed to provide it at or from a certain date. He will do so subject to demand but he always wants to accommodate his regular customers and would never say it’s Christmas Lunch/ Dinner or nothing.

In other words he will give us what we want when we want it.

Therefore my suggestion is that we go ahead on the 6th of December.

I don’t feel that there is anything to be gained from yet another poll so what I would ask is that folks post their agreement or otherwise in this thread asap and I’ll act accordingly.

Oh and no speculation on the identity of the mystery guest, please, all will be revealed along with the detailed arrangements once we finalise the date.

Nature of my work no way I could set in stone unless I booked a holiday , but I will endeavour to be there this time.

The Second Semi Annual Gersnet Dinner (with Special Guest *Star*) seems like a great excuse to book a :hols:; you can make a quick dash for the airport straight from dinner.