Terrible news, just terrible. Fine words Frankie, not easy to write I imagine.

It wasn't but luckily Gordon's son Neil very kindly helped provide me with some background info. Gordon would be very proud of Neil's words when he called me on Friday.

My Grandad (a bear of 86 year old vintage) also died late last year from a combination of cancer and Alzheimer's so I can understand (in part at least) how the family are feeling right now.

Cancer is such an awful disease and I'm sure we can all relate to it in some way. :(

I'm sorry to hear this.

I'd like to pass on my condolences to Gordon's family and hope they find the strength to get through this difficult time.

Well done to Gersnet for publishing a heartfelt and deserving tribute.

This is extremely sad news. I sat beside Gordon at the dinner in May and he told me quite matter of factly about his diagnosis. We were both surprised that we had not come across each other when I was on the JAG/JAG and I had said I would go through to meet him but regrettably the occasion never arose.

In one of the threads about the second dinner he posted that he didn't think he would make this one. I suspect now that he meant that literally. I think we should hold a minute's silence before the dinner in December.

Also I would be happy to contribute to a Gersnet wreath if Frankie could organise that in time for the funeral. I am off to Spain but thoughts will be with his family.

BH

This is extremely sad news. I sat beside Gordon at the dinner in May and he told me quite matter of factly about his diagnosis. We were both surprised that we had not come across each other when I was on the JAG/JAG and I had said I would go through to meet him but regrettably the occasion never arose.

In one of the threads about the second dinner he posted that he didn't think he would make this one. I suspect now that he meant that literally. I think we should hold a minute's silence before the dinner in December.

Also I would be happy to contribute to a Gersnet wreath if Frankie could organise that in time for the funeral. I am off to Spain but thoughts will be with his family.

BH

At this point, I'm not sure if the family are requesting flowers or charity donations for the funeral mate. I suspect it will be the latter so there's no real rush for us putting something together for that as I'll inform Neil of any donations made.

A moment or two of silence at the dinner sounds appropriate.

A really sincere and touching obituary for a good man.

I was lucky enough to meet him earlier this year. Obviously a man of many talents and how interesting to learn that he was a musician. From the sound of it, Gordon lived as full and as fulfilling a life as most could ask for and so I'm sure that brings some comfort to his family and friends. A life well lived can never end too soon.