What happened in 2008 that is related to the postponement of a domestic match due to players being on international duty?

If you recall, we were not allowed to play a match on an international weekend because the Scotland squad were having a get-together at Cameron House. Scotland didnt have a game, and we were two or three games behind because of the bad winter, and both us and our opponents wanted to play a previously postponed match, but we were not allowed to do so.

The end of season fixture congestion later that year, that arguably cost us a never to be repeated quadruple, could have been eased easily back in February by allowing us to play a game everyone but the SFA wanted us to play.

If you recall, we were not allowed to play a match on an international weekend because the Scotland squad were having a get-together at Cameron House. Scotland didnt have a game, and we were two or three games behind because of the bad winter, and both us and our opponents wanted to play a previously postponed match, but we were not allowed to do so.

The end of season fixture congestion later that year, that arguably cost us a never to be repeated quadruple, could have been eased easily back in February by allowing us to play a game everyone but the SFA wanted us to play.

That's a totally different situation?

That's a totally different situation?

MY guess is that this is what dB is getting at.

Of course, this is exactly the opposite of what the East Fife situation is, where we will want to cancel the game, as we have done in the last two seasons, if we have 3 call-ups. I can see the point dB is making regarding if you dont cancel it now, another match may be forced upon us later using this match as a reference point, but I dont believe the 2008 shambles was the same situation as we didnt WANT the cancellations in 2008, they were forced on us.

I don't know what date you are referring to or whether a game was proposed for then. Do you have further info? In any case, I still don't see how that has any bearing on the current situation.

Rangers agreed to postpone a match against St. Mirren in November 07 to accommodate a Scotland game and then never played in until January even when there was an earlier midweek free.

This was followed by a request to put back a match against Gretna in order to rest up prior to playing Lyon, again this could have been arranged for ten days later, but wasn't. They also agreed to postpone the Ne'erday game against Celtic when there was absolutely no need to as that lot were at it with their Phil O'Donnell pish.

To compound it all there was the SC game v East Stirling put off due the Ibrox pitch being waterlogged - unbelievable given the money that had been spent on it over the years and the impending backlog of games.

Don't even get me started on Smith, his tactics and his team selections from then!

MY guess is that this is what dB is getting at.

Of course, this is exactly the opposite of what the East Fife situation is, where we will want to cancel the game, as we have done in the last two seasons, if we have 3 call-ups. I can see the point dB is making regarding if you dont cancel it now, another match may be forced upon us later using this match as a reference point, but I dont believe the 2008 shambles was the same situation as we didnt WANT the cancellations in 2008, they were forced on us.

Rule G7 states:

"A Club shall be entitled to apply to the Board for the postponement of any Official Match where three or more of its Players who would otherwise have participated in such match are unavailable through international selection and, following receipt of such an application, the Board may postpone and rearrange the relevant Official Match in accordance with Rule G3."

There is no mention of precedent, so where does that spurious argument come from?

I don't know what date you are referring to or whether a game was proposed for then. Do you have further info? In any case, I still don't see how that has any bearing on the current situation.

Rangers agreed to postpone a match against St. Mirren in November 07 to accommodate a Scotland game and then never played in until January even when there was an earlier midweek free.

This was followed by a request to put back a match against Gretna in order to rest up prior to playing Lyon, again this could have been arranged for ten days later, but wasn't. They also agreed to postpone the Ne'erday game against Celtic when there was absolutely no need to as that lot were at it with their Phil O'Donnell pish.

To compound it all there was the SC game v East Stirling put off due the Ibrox pitch being waterlogged - unbelievable given the money that had been spent on it over the years and the impending backlog of games.

Don't even get me started on Smith, his tactics and his team selections from then!

The St Mirren game never actually got played until April, think it was called off because of a water logged pitch when it was first rescheduled for January.

It appears that rule G7 should be explained to Ally in that it cannot be held against us should we decide to play the East Fife game, but not play another game later in the year in a similar situation.

What irks me most about Ally's comments on this match is that he claims it would be disrespectful to East Fife if we choose to go ahead with this game but have cancelled others. I dont give a rats arse what East Fife think. If we have the chance to play a game on a Saturday afternoon rather than a midweek evening, we should be thinking of our fans first, not our opponents.

It is ok for our pampered players and staff who have all day to go to Fife, can stay overnight and return the next day or have a lie-in and go to their work later, or in most cases have the day off next day, but our fans have to take time off work to travel to watch the team, often getting home deep into the night and still requiring to be up for work a few hours later. But let's not think of them, lets make sure East Fife, with all of their 200 or so fans, don't think we are treating them lightly by playing a game without three players from our massive squad.

And he says THAT would be disrespectful. Different universe from our fans i'm afraid.

The St Mirren game never actually got played until April, think it was called off because of a water logged pitch when it was first rescheduled for January.

Ok, apologies, and thanks for pointing that out. It should still have been arranged for December.

It appears that rule G7 should be explained to Ally in that it cannot be held against us should we decide to play the East Fife game, but not play another game later in the year in a similar situation.

What irks me most about Ally's comments on this match is that he claims it would be disrespectful to East Fife if we choose to go ahead with this game but have cancelled others. I dont give a rats arse what East Fife think. If we have the chance to play a game on a Saturday afternoon rather than a midweek evening, we should be thinking of our fans first, not our opponents.

It is ok for our pampered players and staff who have all day to go to Fife, can stay overnight and return the next day or have a lie-in and go to their work later, or in most cases have the day off next day, but our fans have to take time off work to travel to watch the team, often getting home deep into the night and still requiring to be up for work a few hours later. But let's not think of them, lets make sure East Fife, with all of their 200 or so fans, don't think we are treating them lightly by playing a game without three players from our massive squad.

And he says THAT would be disrespectful. Different universe from our fans i'm afraid.

Excellent points.