RANGERS have denied reports suggesting they have been contacted by the Indonesian Government over the club's involvement with convicted criminal Rafat Rizvi, who is wanted by Interpol.

Newspaper reports in Indonesia suggested that the country's deputy attorney general had contacted bosses at Ibrox about the issue, but a spokeswoman for club vehemently rejected this.

Government officials are understood to have been astonished to read media reports of Rizvi's meeting with Rangers' chairman of the football board, Sandy Easdale, two weeks ago.

Following that meeting, the club claimed that Rizvi was acting as an adviser for a third party, Datuk Faizoull Bin Ahmad. However, Mr Bin Ahmad later denied this.

It has prompted action from Indonesia's attorney general, his deputy and their minister of justice and human rights.

Deputy attorney general, Andhi Nirwanto, is reported as saying: "We have already approached this club to tell them our views."

The country's attorney general, Basrief Arief, also revealed: "We have filed a new request to Interpol in Lyon, France to hunt down the fugitive Rafat Rizvi after reports he was involved in buying a Scottish football club, Rangers FC.

"We beg Interpol to look for him and to bring him back to our homeland in order to accept his sentence."

However, a spokeswoman for Rangers said: "No approach has been made to the club by the Indonesian Government."

UK-born Rizviwas sentenced in Indonesia to a 15-year jail term in absentia and a £775,000 fine for 'stealing assets' following the collapse of the country's Century Bank in 2009.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/rangers-dispute-receiving-warning-over-rizvi.25386413?

Somewhat removed from the actual debate about Rizvi being involved with the club or Easdale in one way or another or none at all ...

I take it that the Daily Record people and their photographers did not report Rizvi being in Britain to Interpol then? And even if they did ... or the Indonesian government contacting Rangers (or not) about this, what's the point? I take it that a few hundred people and companies deal with and have dealt with Rizvi since his conviction. Have they all been addressed by the Indonesian government afterwards? Has the Indonesian government also contacted the relevant British press outlets and photographers too?

A few remarks on this from FF, who very much echo my feelings about this.

Gub

Makes you wonder if the reporter, Mark Walker, has been looking into the whole Co-op/Filth soft loans scam.

Obviously the guy has a keen interest in football clubs and where they get their finances.

bilkobear

I doubt very much that the Indonesian Govt approached Rangers.

This Govt will be well aware that Rizvi is a man about town in Europe, but so what?

Do they contact every business person Rizvi is dealing with?

I suspect that this journalist has contacted the Indonesian Govt himself for quotes etc and basically poked a stick into a hornets nest for a reaction.

This doesn't condone Easdale or our club dealing with this person, but it does demonstrate how our press love to have a negative about Rangers in the papers after a weekend of football.

Did The Filth not win or something?

buster

Facts

- Rangers are an ongoing project for sp.ivs

- Easdale (ex-con/fraud) meets up with Rizvi (runaway con/15years/fraud) to talk about Rangers future but lie to fans and mention youth development middleman.................(and you get on the back of the press and infer that it has something to do with the Celtic result )

- This ongoing process doesn't produce 'friendly headlines' and after the scale of what's been going on, I really don't know what you expect. If a journalist has got in touch with the Attorny General of Indoneasia, it's called doing their job.

gub

Just a pity these journalists are not so professional when it comes to following up the filth/co-op/soft loans-state aid story?

Goodness knows I don't need an excuse to look at any dealings involving the current board/individuals with a jaundiced set of eyes but journalistic integrity has to work across the spectrum and not concentrated solely on us.

Also, this Interpol stuff leaves me cold. Rizvi's a wanted man but he can traipse across the world where and whenever he likes?

A few remarks on this from FF, who very much echo my feelings about this.

Gub

bilkobear

buster

gub

Just to add on from FF, to complete the conversation.......

buster

I don't know how much solid base the issues you mention from the East actually have and so it is difficult to comment but there is a thread for those.

Tbh as I stated on that thread some time ago, I'm more interested with the direct goings-on in and around Ibrox and by christ there has been enough. Our very future is in-play, is that not enough to concentrate the mind.

Regards the media, Lawwell/Celtic will certainly defend their club whilst RIFC (+Easdale.S) will look to defend themselves but have reached a point where they can't with any credibility.

ie. At Ibrox, it's shooty-in for the media and for good reason whilst at Parkhead journalists will tread more warily. That said, I don't believe they would completely ignore the 'charges' you mention if they were solid.

So for us it comes down to the same, we need change but the realistic options seem to deal in varying grades of pain. On the way to this point we wasted far too much energy and time chasing shadows, cabals etc

buster seems to speak a lot of sense ;)3

The club hasn't disputed that Charles Green sold the Ibrox naming rights to Ashley for a quid almost 3 weeks after the news broke, but is disputing stuff related to these Rizvi stories in the press within 24 hrs.

When Charles Green was still here in an official capacity he used to pull similar diversion tactics.

Any time something extremely serious was leaked or broke in the news which showed or involved Green being a bullshitting, lying con man or connected to Craig Whyte, all of a sudden there would be a manufactured week or two of total nonsense and madness to deflect away from the important news & allegations.