Here's a story to scare you: "I don't see why me and Boydy couldn't work," said Daly.

Matter of fact, I looked at the team with regards to the personal we have right now. Macleod would be ahead of Shiels, of course. As for Templeton, you are correct. That said, McGregor is rather good on the right side of the defense. If, e.g., an attack rolls over our right side, I would expect that not only does Black and Templeton move in to cover, but also that Mohsni and Zaliukas take over CD, Wallace drops to cover the left side and McGregor switches to the right side of defence. These people have to click dynamically (and more often than not they do anyways). As soon as we have the ball again, people move back into their slots. Less able teams often come to Ibrox looking to park the bus and we don't need a 4-man defence there. IMHO McGregor and Zaliukas are good and quick enough to cover the back, with Black and Mohsni being the first line of defence. It would give us a dominant midfield and quite a few options to attack too, with Law, Macleod/Shiels and Templeton supporting or joining the strikers. Certainly nothing for tonight just yet.

Our problem does not exactly lie with a Daly & Boyd partnership, but the service to them into the box. Aird and Templeton run hot & cold on either wing, Peralta is hardly used these days. Given them all being rather ineffective, you dread the day when Smith and Foster take up the winger lots.

In any case, our team should be able to play a dynamic system, not least at home and against "weaker" opponents. I know that some people are utterly opposed to a 3-at-the-back line-up, but once we have the ball we usually play 2 at the back anyway, while the fullbacks venture up field. Why not give one of them that leeway amyway? It would mean that you need to have two "CH" who are quick/aware and adaptable enough, plus one "destroyer". The midfielders ahead of them have to do their defensive homework too, of course.

Bell (et al)

McGregor - Mohsni - Zaliukas

Black

Templeton - Law - Shiels - Wallace/Clark

Daly/Clark - Boyd/Miller

... might be such a line-up, with Mohsni playing just ahead of the two CHs, letting Black go further forward still. The wingers would essentially be wingbacks, with Black and Law doing the odd covering job as well. try that at home against Cowdenbeath, Alloa or Livingston and see how it works. If it doesn't, Wallace can drop back and you'd have the normal 4-4-2 with Shiels playing inside left or being replaced with Aird or Smith.

That formation makes my eyes bleed.

Daly once scored a hat trick against Celtic and a few more on different occasions and scored a few against our SPL side, he's on our payroll so we may as well try and make use of him whilst he is here. I think him and Boyd would work, given the right service. We don't have that in the team right now though.

Daly once scored a hat trick against Celtic and a few more on different occasions and scored a few against our SPL side, he's on our payroll so we may as well try and make use of him whilst he is here. I think him and Boyd would work, given the right service. We don't have that in the team right now though.

it's just what that service would look like...............