Mark Fotheringham

Gers favourites to land midfielder Mon, Jan 29 2007 18:26

Norwich boss Peter Grant wants to sign former Celtic midfielder Mark Fotheringham but admits Rangers are favourites to land him.

The midfielder has been offered a two-year deal by the Canaries but Fotheringham is said to favour a move to Rangers and Grant admits he is likely to lose out to the Gers.

The player is currently training with Rangers and a return to Glasgow looks to be on the cards.

"He is a terrific player, a great skilful player with wonderful ability, there is no doubt about that," Grant said. "He went to Germany and did very well there and then went to Switzerland for a while and played exceptionally well and wants to come back to Britain.

"Unfortunately, Rangers are in there first, but I have obviously spoken to the boy, he is very, very keen to come to Norwich. But Rangers are a massive club and if he gets the chance to go there maybe that's the chance he will take. But he knows I am interested so we will see how things go on from here."

The Norwich boss seems certain he is coming to us. I must admit i have never seen him play, but his CV dosn't really make me break out in a sweat.

A bit like Gow, this one doesnt take to my fancy at all. Im thinking about the UEFA cup and if we come up against 1 of the few big boys.

I know Walter put a good spirit into the Scotland team with average players. But the average players in the national team are still a good crop who play at a decent level. And the reason they are average for being a national team is because they are being judged against the likes of Italy, France, Brazils top players.

But going for Fotheringham, whom i cant say ive heard of much, doesnt appeal to me.

Didnt he start with Dundee then fail at Celtic?? As for him being in Germany - who was that with??

Whereas the likes of McCulloch are much more appealing as he has came on well in the EPL and scores a few goals.