McCall retains Promotion belief

Rangers manager Stuart McCall remains hopeful of promotion despite the Ibrox side's fifth straight draw.

McCall, who took charged last week, were held 2-2 against Alloa Athletic on Tuesday evening.

"It's not an easy place to play at the moment," McCall told BBC Scotland. "I think everyone realises that. We've won one game in nine.

"The season doesn't end tonight and I saw enough positives in a few individuals that we can build on."

Hibernian are next up for Rangers on Sunday at Easter Road, with Alan Stubbs' side having already beaten the Ibrox outfit three times in the Scottish Championship so far this season.

Rangers, who have a game in hand, trail second-place Hibs by six points and are five clear of Queen of the South.

With leaders Hearts within five points of the title and automatic promotion, the sides finishing third and fourth will play off to face the league's runners-up.

The winner of that second tie will meet the team that finishes second-bottom in the Premiership in the play-off final, which like the preceding rounds will be a two-legged tie.

"Everyone will be writing us off on Sunday against Hibs but bring it on," said McCall, who oversaw a 1-1 draw against Livingston in his first game in charge on Saturday.

"Sunday's not going to be the walkover everyone seems to think it's going to be.

"We would've wanted to start with two victories, we've not. We were certainly far better than we were against Livingston.

"Every game's huge. There's still a lot of football to be played. A lot of work to be done, we knew that."

Some of our players aren't Division 2 standard by the looks of things so how do you expect to go up.

In fairness, I think McCall's only had 2 or 3 full training sessions with the squad plus a couple of short sessions and chats, so it's very early days for him.

The 2 results against Livi and Alloa haven't been good, but he's made some changes and there's some signs of improvement.

Most of us will probably expect a defeat to Hibs, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if McCall manages to use the next 4 days to good effect.

Edited by Zappa

Right now he will need a a large supply of band aid to make a promotion team out of this lot.

Who would you retain in the side on merit?

Faure (maybe but injured) McGregor, Zaliukas (also injured now), Wallace, Walsh, Murdoch, Clark, Vukic (also injured).

I thought Shiels looked better tonight and if Law keeps driving forward perhaps.

But we are short at RB, CB, CMF and striker.

Surely only injuries can keep McCulloch in the team and Black, Boyd and Miller cannot start any more matches.

I would go with Daly (as the best of a bad lot) to partner Clark.

Heard on the radio that Walsh is really a no. 10 so he would be worth a try behind Clark if we have another wide man, Templeton perhaps if he can be persuaded to pass a ball.

Contrast with Hibs, QoS and Falkirk all with settled teams playing controlled passing football.

I fear for us against Hibs.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I fear for us against anyone in the championship at the moment. We cannot defend and haven't a clue going forward. The players are lazy, unfit and don't care. That's going to take a whole summer to sort out. If we somehow scrape our way up to the SPL with the dross we have at the moment it will be a miracle.

McCall should arrange a meeting with Boyd this morning & advise him he is no longer being considered for the first team squad.

He is unfit & offers nothing to the team. His performance last night was one of the most ridiculous performances I've seen from a player in a Rangers jersey. We effectively played with a man short until he went off.

Edited by RANGERRAB

I suppose he's got to say it - bit there is no way we are going up.

And McCall must not be chosen to have his stay extended beyond this season whatever happens. He is not the answer. He is just more of the same of what we've had.

I suppose he's got to say it - bit there is no way we are going up.

And McCall must not be chosen to have his stay extended beyond this season whatever happens. He is not the answer. He is just more of the same of what we've had.

Well he's got 9 games to prove you wrong...............

And if he continues to play Boyd & McCulloch he won't

He may only have been there for two games, but Boyd up front on his own for seventy minutes at home to Alloa has to raise questions.

On a more positive note anyone that follows my youth posts will know I have banged on about Tom Walsh and Ryan Sinnamon for some time, one is now in the team and the other almost came on last night.

He may only have been there for two games, but Boyd up front on his own for seventy minutes at home to Alloa has to raise questions.

On a more positive note anyone that follows my youth posts will know I have banged on about Tom Walsh and Ryan Sinnamon for some time, one is now in the team and the other almost came on last night.

A poster on RM has said Boyd's agent has been told he is not getting a new contract next season. If that's the case he shouldnt get another game.

Don't know why Sinnamon didnt play. McGregor uncomfortable at RB.

am I wrong or has Paul Murray not spoken a word since the appointment of McCall as interim manager? from what I can see they appointed him and stuck him in front of the cameras to get on with it.