Rangers set to pounce for Dutch ace Sander Fischer

RANGERS have lined up a surprise move for Dutch side Excelsior’s captain Sander Fischer.

The commanding 26-year-old central defender is out of contract at the end of this season.

And with Ibrox defender and skipper Lee McCulloch’s contract coming to an end, Rangers have entered talks with Fisher’s agent in a bid to persuade him to move to Glasgow.

But they face competition from Belgian side Mechelen as well as Dutch outfits Willem II, NAC Breda and FC Groningen.

The ex-FC Emmen stopper has been an ever-present for the Rotterdam side this season and has helped them comfortably beat the drop in the Dutch Eredivisie.

He has also played his part with Excelsior reaching the Dutch Cup semi-final – and they face Groningen in the last four on Wednesday knowing a win would send them to the final for the first time in 85 years.

Fischer has also insisted he wants to move to a bigger club this summer.

He said: “I’ve made no secret of the fact I would like to step up and play on a bigger stage if the opportunity arises.

“But at the moment I have just got to concentrate on doing the best I can with Excelsior.”

Gers will need to recruit this summer with a dozen players out of contract at the end of the campaign.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/568470/Rangers-set-to-pounce-for-Dutch-ace-Sander-Fischer