Mediocre footballer and past merits being over-stated? Snatched from his spell at Wigan Athletic (2001-2007), where he went after playing 124 games for Motherwell, scoring 21 goals:

In the summer of 2001, highly regarded young manager and former Latics forward Paul Jewell took over as manager following an unsuccessful spell at Sheffield Wednesday. His first season in charge saw mixed results and an embarrassing defeat to non-league Canvey Island in the FA Cup first round, although the club eventually finished in mid-table. Jewell's second season in charge was far more successful. Wigan Athletic went on a run to the quarter finals of the League Cup, beating Premier League opponents West Brom, Manchester City and Fulham en route. Wigan Athletic won the Division Two championship in 2002–03 with a points total of 100, powered by the goals of then-record £1.2 million signing Nathan Ellington, with a run of 10 consecutive wins along the way. The club lost only four times all season, and Wigan Athletic secured promotion to the second tier of the English Football League for the first time in their history.

After losing their first ever game in Division One, Wigan Athletic confounded expectations to go unbeaten for the next 17 games and sit atop the division by November 2003. A weak finish saw Wigan Athletic win only three of their last 10 games to finish seventh in Division One – a last minute goal by West Ham's Brian Deane in the final game of the season saw the Latics drop out of the play-off places in favour of eventual play-off winners Crystal Palace.

Hoping to build on the previous season's disappointing finish, the Latics went one better than 2003–04 by remaining unbeaten for the first 17 games of the 2004–05 season. Along with Sunderland and Ipswich, the Latics remained in the promotion hunt all season. By the last day of the season, Sunderland had already won the title and Wigan needed at least a draw against Reading – who themselves needed to win to finish in sixth place – to beat Ipswich to the last automatic promotion spot. A 3–1 victory in front of their home fans at the JJB Stadium earned Wigan Athletic promotion to the top division of the English football for the first time in their 73-year history

Premier League: 2005–2013

The club's first ever Premier League game was a sell-out at the JJB Stadium against holders Chelsea, lost 1–0 after an injury-time winner by Hernán Crespo.[13] A successful run followed, and by November, Wigan were second in the league. Good league form was coupled with an equally strong performance in the Football League Cup, with Wigan reaching their first ever major cup final after defeating Arsenal on away goals in the semi-final. In the final, Wigan were defeated 4–0 by neighbours Manchester United.[14] Wigan Athletic eventually finished the season in 10th place, which remains the club's highest ever league placing. Defender Pascal Chimbonda was also included in the 2005–06 PFA Team of the Season,[15] capping off his season by being picked for the France squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

During the close season, Wigan sold many players who had starred in their first season in the Premier League, such as Jimmy Bullard, Jason Roberts, and Stéphane Henchoz, while bringing in replacements such as Emile Heskey, Denny Landzaat, Chris Kirkland and Antonio Valencia. After a mid-table start to the 2006–07 season, Wigan had eight consecutive losses from mid-December, but were 15th in early March. However, a series of defeats and the resurgence of rival strugglers meant that Wigan faced the threat of relegation. On the final day of the season, Wigan got a 2–1 away win against Sheffield United, which kept them up at the expense of their opponents. The following day, Paul Jewell unexpectedly resigned as manager; his assistant Chris Hutchings was appointed as his replacement.

Wigan's third Premier League campaign started without ageing players Arjan De Zeeuw, Matt Jackson, John Filan, who were all released, while Lee McCulloch and Leighton Baines also left.

Rangers ...

On 11 July 2007, Rangers revealed that they had agreed an undisclosed fee with Wigan for McCulloch. After agreeing personal terms and passing a medical, he signed a four-year deal later in the day with a transfer fee of £2.25m to join his boyhood heroes.[8] McCulloch started his Rangers career with a goal on his debut in a 2–0 victory over FK Zeta on 31 July 2007.[9] On 2 October 2007 in the 2007-08 UEFA Champions League, he scored the first goal, a header from a corner by DaMarcus Beasley in Rangers' monumental 3–0 victory at the Stade de Gerland against Olympique Lyonnais.[10]

On 23 December in a match with Aberdeen, McCulloch was sent off after 37 minutes after jumping at Aberdeen's Scott Severin as a mass brawl started, after Aberdeen's Chris Clark had scythed down Rangers defender Alan Hutton. McCulloch was the only player to be dismissed in the heated match. Later that season McCulloch played in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final, the 2008 Scottish League Cup Final and the 2008 Scottish Cup Final. Rangers lost the UEFA Cup Final but won a domestic cup double.

With us he won three SPL titles, a Scottish Cup and three League Cups. People who do the above and help a club into a European final are usually not mediocre or "bad" footballers. Perhaps people get their memories straight and valuation standards on-line again?

As craig put it,

He has served his time, but his time should be at an end.

And that should be that.

Edited by der Berliner

I remember the disappointment when he signed. We kept chasing him and I hoped we wouldn't get him. I didn't rate him then, I haven't rated him at any time since and I certainly don't rate him now.

Unfortunately, Rangers dropped to a level where he could be kept on. Without the nightmare of the last few years, he'd surely have been long gone.

The loyalty question is overdone, much as the traitor factor is with regard to those that left.

If Naismith had been as old as McCulloch, he'd likely have stayed at Ibrox, and if McCulloch had been as young as Naismith when the roof fell in, he'd surely have moved on.

I hope to see Rangers and McCulloch parting company soon.

Edited by Hildy

I can't -- and don't -- disagree with your listing of his flaws; they are many. But I disagree with the term "impostor" (or "imposter" - the dictionary has both!). The main criticism aimed at Rangers players this year has been a total lack of desire, energy etc, but I don't think that is something we can accuse Jig of. I have outlined a number of occasions where he has acted honorably; in short, like a Ranger should. He's become a scapegoat -- and although I agree with you regarding his many flaws -- the "impostor" accusation is unwarranted.

Are you saying we have always despised him? Even when he was one of the few that stuck by us during liquidation? He showed tremendous loyalty. He is by no means the worst captain, just like he is not the best player, but what he is , is a Ranger; he knows what it means to play for this club.

I speak only for myself when I say I have never liked him as a player. Let's not kid ourselves on that he stayed out of loyalty to the club, he couldn't get another club to take him on the £15Kpw outrageous wages we were paying him. He is an imposter to me as I have never believed he is Rangers class, and believe me I know that term itself has been completely downgraded in the last few years, and no matter how low we set the bar for "Rangers class" Jig will be well below it.

Im delighted that he will be absent from the side for at least the next few games, and content that his failed tenure as Rangers player and Captain is almost at an end.

While I have no intention in a race to the bottom, I would like to hear your opinion on the worst player to have captained us if it is not him. The only player with anywhere near as poor technical ability who was captain in my 30 years of going to games was Ricksen IMO.

I remember the disappointment when he signed. We kept chasing him and I hoped we wouldn't get him. I didn't rate him then, I haven't rated him at any time since and I certainly don't rate him now.

Unfortunately, Rangers dropped to a level where he could be kept on. Without the nightmare of the last few years, he'd surely have been long gone.

The loyalty question is overdone, much as the traitor factor is with regard to those that left.

If Naismith had been as old as McCulloch, he'd likely have stayed at Ibrox, and if McCulloch had been as young as Naismith when the roof fell in, he'd surely have moved on.

I hope to see Rangers and McCulloch parting company soon.

Spot on!!!

I'm definitely not a fan of the guy as a football player overall and he certainly is not a central defender by any stretch of the imagination. Never.

I was very disappointed when Walter signed him for two simple reasons:

1. I didn't rate him as a player, so didn't think he was good enough for us.

2. I thought the transfer fee of well over 2 million quid was absolutely obscene.

In fairness, the guy has actually had some very good games for us over the years, but how on earth he was given his last contract extension or new contract and is still with us to the age of 37 when he's clearly past it is just mind-boggling and verging on embarrassing IMO, but it's as much of a reflection on Ally's tenure as manager as anything else.

At the end of the day he'll leave with the usual thanks for his services which most Rangers players deservedly get, but if he's given another extension or a new contract I think it's fair to say that there will be a LOT of disgruntled Bears.

I speak only for myself when I say I have never liked him as a player. Let's not kid ourselves on that he stayed out of loyalty to the club, he couldn't get another club to take him on the £15Kpw outrageous wages we were paying him. He is an imposter to me as I have never believed he is Rangers class, and believe me I know that term itself has been completely downgraded in the last few years, and no matter how low we set the bar for "Rangers class" Jig will be well below it.

Im delighted that he will be absent from the side for at least the next few games, and content that his failed tenure as Rangers player and Captain is almost at an end.

While I have no intention in a race to the bottom, I would like to hear your opinion on the worst player to have captained us if it is not him. The only player with anywhere near as poor technical ability who was captain in my 30 years of going to games was Ricksen IMO.

I will name a worse captain .... Paterson....