SPFL in line to net £1million windfall from Rangers

I guess we can just give tickets away free with a souvenir programme priced at £25. :whistle:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/6402309/Gers-1M-sting-from-play-off-tickets.html

The SPFL is set to net a sensational £1million-plus windfall from Rangers as a result of play-off gate money regulations.

The governing body is entitled to 50 per cent of all ticket revenue from the knockout matches, bringing in a sum beyond their wildest dreams.

As a result, Gers chairman Paul Murray is on course to pay out more than double the prize money of £342,000 the Ibrox club will receive if they finish second and go on to reach the Premiership play-off final.

The non old firm teams contribute absolutely nothing and get far too big a slice of the pie. They get knocked out by the very worst teams in Europe, at the first hurdle (including us recently), yet feel they are entitled to more money. We can either have two teams that thrive in Scotland, or we can have none. I'm all for the standard of play improving but not at our expense. I'm not just specifically talking about splitting gates in cups as I know that happens elsewhere too. Other leagues though have the big teams earning huge money through TV deals, sponsorship etc. Scottish football desperately needs the old firm to get back to their best if it is to recover.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

We must challenge this extreme profiteering from the scumbags running the game in this country. What right have they to claim gate money from a league match, which this essentially still is. The paltry prize money on offer is incomparable.

The alternative is to give the game away free to season ticket holders and ask our supporters to donate what they feel is right to the club via buckets outside the turnstiles, or ask everyone to buy as many rising stars tickets as they feel appropriate for these play-off games.

If the SPFL would still be entitled to a cut of ST money, then sell the tickets at a fiver and tell them this is a reward for our loyalty and patience during this difficult season. If we done that I would buy 8 rising star tickets to make up the difference.

For cup semi-finals the gate money is split between the four semi-finalists after the SFA take around a 20% cut plus the expenses for hosting the matches. Taking 50% of gate money means some clubs will host play-off matches and lose money after policing, stewarding etc.