Mohsni in midfield?

Derek Johnstone started off as a striker in season 1970-71, scoring the winning goal as a sixteen year old in the League Cup final against Celtic and he also forced a replay in the Scottish Cup final that season with an equaliser 3 minutes from time v the tims.

He was then only used mainly as a striker (naturally) in 71-72 until Colin Jackson got injured and went on to show his ability in defence with some outstanding performances in that position culminating in winning a CWC medal in May.

1972-73 and 73-74 seasons saw him play mostly as a central defender with only a Scottish Cup winners medal to show for his efforts.

1974-75 Johnstone was paired with the other Derek (Parlane) winning a league medal scoring 14 goals.

1975-76 Johnstone continued up front claiming 31 goals in a treble winning season.

1976-77 playing up front - no winners medals.

1977-78 His best season as a Ranger, again as a striker, prolific partnership with Gordon Smith scoring 38 goals and bagging other 3 winners medals in an other clean sweep, also got Scotland's player of the year for that season.

1978-79 he became captain replacing legend John Greig who was now manager. Greig thought DJ'S best position was as a centre half and played him there. The Scottish Cup was secured when Johnstone scored twice in a 3-2 victory against Hibs from that position.

For the 1979-80 season Greig preferred Johnstone as his main striker, despite scoring 20 goals no medals were added to his cabinet.

Season 80-81 Johnstone was reverted back to defence, after some serious setbacks up front he was moved back up to the strikers role the goals dried up for him but he added another Scottish Cup medal to his personal collection, thanks to goals from Cooper, Russell and John MacDonald (2) in a 4-1 defeat of the Arabs.

1981-82 Derek continued as a forward scoring 16 goals with only a League Cup winners medal in a 2-1 final victory again against the Arabs, where Cooper and Redford got the goals.

1982-83 DJ found it very difficult to get into the starting line-up as a striker...the defensive positions were nailed down by record signing Craig Paterson (£250,000 signing from Hibs) and Northern Ireland internationalist John McClelland.

These were dire times for Rangers fans as this was highly regarded as the worst Rangers side of all time.

1983-84 John Greig signed Ally McCoist and Johnstone signed for Chelsea. Big John chucked it soon after.

Things have changed a lot since Johnstone juggled from Rangers Striker to Rangers Defender, back to Rangers Striker then on to Chelsea.

Unfortunately I have to say he is a F'n rotton Commentator.:)

1981-82 Derek continued as a forward scoring 16 goals with only a League Cup winners medal in a 2-1 final victory again against the Arabs, where Cooper and Redford got the goals.

It's a long time ago but I strongly remember him thumping the post in that game with a fabulous bicycle kick.

It's a long time ago but I strongly remember him thumping the post in that game with a fabulous bicycle kick.

It is a long time ago...from what I can muster from my faint memory Johnstone probably missed more (unluckily as strikers do) than McCoist ever did.

McCoist stole Johnstone's thunder within a short period of 5 seasons, thanks to the revolution that took place back then. Good 'ole SuperAlly.

DJ for ever a bad commentator still has his CWC medal in his pocket.

DJ was a fantastic player for Rangers which some forget. Probably because Ally followed him immediately.

It is a long time ago...from what I can muster from my faint memory Johnstone probably missed more (unluckily as strikers do) than McCoist ever did.

McCoist stole Johnstone's thunder within a short period of 5 seasons, thanks to the revolution that took place back then. Good 'ole SuperAlly.

DJ for ever a bad commentator still has his CWC medal in his pocket.

DJ was a fantastic player for Rangers which some forget. Probably because Ally followed him immediately.

I agree with that.

Johnstone scored a barrowload of goals for Rangers during my time of watching, Ally scored more than DJ thereafter...moving on DJ tried other things after his career as a footballer trying management, then failed progressing into a media role with STV and somehow holding on to that thing through RTV.

Ally moved on to the massive circus of frontline tv shows, in between he shagged some celebrities during his time, most notably Miss Katsy Pensitt and allegedly Bue Sarker.

Coisty then got a job as assistant to Walter Smith on the international front then followed Smith back to Rangers.

Meantime big Derek maintains his dignity and follows on without gardening leave.

Unfortunately I have to say he is a F'n rotton Commentator.:)

The problem is that you want to listen to the rest of the lot even less, as more often than not it is the likes of Crocker and Walker spilling rubbish along with being bad commentators. One rather wants to hear to the chaps from BBC Alba, as you (usually) don't understand the stuff they are talking about.