Give Us The Tools And We'll Finish The Job

Aye, I have done that a few times - apologies and should now be fixed!

Agree with the point we need five players in there - or at least better wide options to support the central playmakers. I think the main issue is playing with four at the back when we usually only need 3.

We just lack a balance throughout the team. Vuckic is anything but a right midfielder while Law also seems to suffer from being moved around.

Generally too many players seem unsure of their role or position.

I think the following system would be better.

:cb:

:dm: :mz: :lw:

:rc::ds::am::nl: :hv:

:nc::rh:

I know playing with Jig and Miller is like playing with nine men, but to leave them out and not replace them is taking it too far Frankie!!!

I am not sure what games you are referring to Rousseau, but we have been playing with a midfield three for the last few games with Murdoch, Shiels and Law all playing in there. We have been playing without width and that has been a big part of the problem as QotS and Livvy both crammed the midfield and played very deep, giving us no space to work with. They hunted in packs and closed down very well, and in Livvy's case the terrible bumpy pitch helped them in this regard as it took a couple of touches to control the bobbling ball and by that time two players were on top of us.

The difference in shape has come from what defenders we are playing, along with who the fourth midfield player is and where they play. Jig/Zaliukas are both negative CB and therefore we dont get the ball moved quickly enough from the back, and neither can pass forward with any accuracy. Mohsni for all his defensive faults likes to play quickly and bring the ball into midfield giving us an extra man in there at times when we have possession, which has helped free Wallace and others find space. When we have played Temps he has been stuck wide and has been denied any real support and is usually closely marked as opponents know he is our out ball to create and mark accordingly, and in all honesty he has not played very well either, usually not helped by being put six foot in the air on a regular basis with the referee offering no protection.

I did mention that in another post: outnumbering the midfield in itself is meaningless if we don't have width or forwards who are willing to run in behind. It's as if we play either/or, when we should be aiming for central dominance with width, whether by fullbacks bombing forward or proper wingers -- we have neither, really, Shiels and Vuckic are not proper wingers, and only Wallace bombs on.

We could have fielded but never did:

Greig (metronome and destroying if required)

Davis (master destroyer)

Baxter (creative genius)

The more aged among is will recall Hearts could have done the same with Cumming, McKay and Young operating in the three roles. Cumming could do the destroying as well and McKay wasn't short of metronomic or creative abilities. In fact that's a bloody scary midfield three if you don't wear maroon. Thank God the system hadn't been invented.

We could have fielded but never did:

Greig (metronome and destroying if required)

Davis (master destroyer)

Baxter (creative genius)

The more aged among is will recall Hearts could have done the same with Cumming, McKay and Young operating in the three roles. Cumming could do the destroying as well and McKay wasn't short of metronomic or creative abilities. In fact that's a bloody scary midfield three if you don't wear maroon. Thank God the system hadn't been invented.

That's the great thing about generations.

The poor chap Rousseau in the opening post hasn't seen much greatness when he is referring to Kevin Thomson as an example player :D

The team that went so close in CL in 92-93 didn't have spectacular creativity. McCall, Ian Ferguson, Durrant on its day would have been our central trio if played then. Durrant had a good season but was never the player we should have seen. Mikhailichenko, and Trevor Steven could also have been played centrally to add to the creative side but were more used wider IIRC along with Huistra.

Edited by Gribz

That's the great thing about generations.

The poor chap Rousseau in the opening post hasn't seen much greatness when he is referring to Kevin Thomson as an example player :D

The team that went so close in CL in 92-93 didn't have spectacular creativity. McCall, Ian Ferguson, Durrant on its day would have been our central trio if played then. Durrant had a good season but was never the player we should have seen. Mikhailichenko, and Trevor Steven could also have been played centrally to add to the creative side but were more used wider IIRC along with Huistra.

I have indeed missed out on a great deal of great sides. I caught the tail end of 9IAR - if that! On reflection, the only period of sustained success I experienced, or remotely enjoyed in terms of the football played, was perhaps the McLeish sides (The Shame...).

Christ, you were quick, I had to edit that due to missing player icons... :(

Hardie is missing, so I'll get that sorted mate, but Murdoch, Sinnamon, Halkett and most of the other young lads are there in our 'Reserve & Youth' Smiley catagory because they weren't classed by the Club as being in the first team squad at the beginning of the season. ;)

For Andy Murdoch you just type murdoch between two colons. :murdoch: