McCall: Shane Ferguson has 'lifted' Rangers despite not making debut yet

We should be aiming to develop Walsh over choosing Ferguson who cannot be match fit.

In saying that we do have at least four games left and possibly as much as eight so we will need the bulk of the squad to be fit and available for any play-off sequence. As such, Ferguson may well play his part or would people prefer the unreliable Templeton and/or the inconsistent Smith in left midfield should Walsh become injured again?

Ferguson would be a massive gamble as he hasnt played for so long.

I think McCall simply has to get his tactics spot-on if we're to get promoted via these play-offs. Accommodating both Vuckic and Ferguson in the same team may be difficult IMO.

I don't think it would be too difficult to play them both. Vuckic could play off the striker -- he used to be one -- and Ferguson can take his wide spot. Simples!

We should be aiming to develop Walsh over choosing Ferguson who cannot be match fit.

In saying that we do have at least four games left and possibly as much as eight so we will need the bulk of the squad to be fit and available for any play-off sequence. As such, Ferguson may well play his part or would people prefer the unreliable Templeton and/or the inconsistent Smith in left midfield should Walsh become injured again?

Walsh has earned a game, but that shouldn't preclude Ferguson getting a run-out. If Ferguson can contribute, he should.

Walsh has earned a game, but that shouldn't preclude Ferguson getting a run-out. If Ferguson can contribute, he should.

Sure - genuine competition for places is an agreeable problem to have.

May the best man win but I'd still argue developing our player above selecting someone who's on loan should be part of the decision-making process.

Sure - genuine competition for places is an agreeable problem to have.

Competition is excellent. Best problem there is!

May the best man win but I'd still argue developing our player above selecting someone who's on loan should be part of the decision-making process.

I'd agree with you in a normal season -- simple long-term development over short-term, which is a no-brainer. However, the play-offs are just a short-term mini-competition, so any player that would give us the best chance at promotion should be utilised, regardless of potential. Ferguson will not play beyond this season, but to exclude him from a significant series of games just because he will be leaving is irresponsible. I don't think the potential experience Walsh could gain outweighs the importance of promotion.

Saying that: any youngster needs and should get a long run in the side -- it's the only way they will progress. I'd still use Ferguson over the play-offs if he will be beneficial to us.

I was spot on about vuckic and our youths.

Only in your own, stereotypical of little internet forum mentality, world of playing to an identity and never being able to countenance that your prejudiced (as in judging before any evidence was available) view might not actually be 100% accurate. You claim omniscience and complete knowledge of the future. You should change your username to something else starting with "G".,,,.sorry, not having a good morning

No, not Gandalf !!! The other one....:laugh2:

PS And it isn't about YOUTH v Vuckic - our youth should be promoted (or rather should have been,long ago), but in place of the old farts who have disgraced us for years now not players who can actually control a ball and use free kicks to our advantage

Edited by SteveC

Especially as we have two wings and Walsh can play on the right! If Ferguson contributes with accurate passes and some assists and goals, who are we to stop him from playing? McCall isn't shying away from bloodying youngsters, so GS could just as well take a step back here. I doubt that McCall will use that many more of them, as we won't e.g. throw them into the defence at this vital stage of the season. That risk should have been taken by McCoist and McDowall long before now.

Only in your own, stereotypical of little internet forum mentality, world of playing to an identity and never being able to countenance that your prejudiced (as in judging before any evidence was available) view might not actually be 100% accurate. You claim omniscience and complete knowledge of the future. You should change your username to something else starting with "G".,,,.sorry, not having a good morning

No, not Gandalf !!! The other one....:laugh2:

PS And it isn't about YOUTH v Vuckic - our youth should be promoted (or rather should have been,long ago), but in place of the old farts who have disgraced us for years now not players who can actually control a ball and use free kicks to our advantage

It's a statistical fact that we get better results without vuckic than with him. Both in my Internet world and the real one.