Mike Ashley takes on SFA over £7,500 fine for dual ownership

Exclusive: Newcastle owner was fined for breaching rules through interest in Rangers

By Roddy Forsyth

Mike Ashley’s legal team have taken on the Scottish Football Association over the £7500 fine imposed on the Newcastle United owner for breaching rules on dual ownership through his interest in Rangers. Telegraph Sport can also reveal that Ashley’s representatives asked the governing body of Scottish football to process an appeal against the sanction in confidence but that it is not known when the matter will be resolved – or even if it will be dealt with before the end of the season.

The grounds for the appeal remain unclear. On the one hand Ashley – estimated to be worth £3.5 billion – might simply object to the size of the fine, which is at the top end of the scale, or he could be attempting to test the limits of the SFA’s ability to control his influence on Rangers.

An SFA Council member, who learned about the appeal this week, said: “It’s impossible to tell what Mike Ashley wants in this instance. If it’s just about the money, he’s taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

“On the other hand he might want to test the limits of what he can do with a club in Scotland as well as having Newcastle United,”

The fine was imposed on March 2 – four days before the board supported by Ashley was removed at a general meeting requisitioned by former Ibrox director, Dave King, and the day after the Telegraph exclusively revealed that the outgoing regime had admitted defeat.

Ashley was charged under SFA disciplinary rule 19, which states that a person “involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management or administration of a club”, cannot – without the prior written consent of the SFA Board – “be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management or administration of another club or…have any power whatsoever to influence the management or administration of another club."

A second charge – that Ashley “failed to act in the best interests of Association Football” was found to be not proven. He continues to hold 8.92% of Rangers stock and 75% of Rangers Retail.

Rangers, meanwhile, were fined £5500 last week after being found guilty of three breaches of the rules, including the clause governing the best interests of football. It is understood that the club will pay the fine on the grounds that the current board was not in place when the breaches occurred and will not argue in favour of the previous regime.

The incoming regime chose not to draw down a second tranche of Ashley loan funding which was open to them. Instead, a second loan of £1.5 million from the Three Bears consortium of wealthy Rangers supporters – the first £1.5 million was made available last month – will shortly be accepted to bridge cash flow needs until season income for 2015-16 begins to flow in to the Ibrox coffers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11562357/Rangers-news-Mike-Ashley-takes-on-SFA-over-7500-fine-for-dual-ownership.html

For the amount of money he has, and the costs owed to his legal team in the outcome, its hardly worth it. Seems like he's doing this on principle.... seems he actually has some but only when its not to do with Rangers and Newcastle.

Ashley is trying to cover his bare arse, on the onerous contracts issues imo. Against our club claiming in any possible litigation that the SFA's judgement of his then undue influence in the boardroom, also extended to his equal undue influence, in setting up said onerous contracts.

A bad week for the SFA just about to get worse....

First there was the Josh Meekings fiasco.Now this.

Whether people are pro-Ashley or Anti-Ashley is besides the point here. There are examples of dual ownership of clubs throughout Europe.Giampaolo Pozza being the prime example who owns Udinese, Watford & Grenada.Why are the SFA opposed to it if UEFA arent?

Shouldnt all UEFA countries have similar legislation? If not what's the point of UEFA?

The cynic in me tells me this SFA legislation is to protect ra hoops to prevent meaningful competition from other clubs in this country.

The SFA will not beat Ashley and they know it

Edited by RANGERRAB

A bad week for the SFA just about to get worse....

First there was the Josh Meekings fiasco.Now this.

Whether people are pro-Ashley or Anti-Ashley is besides the point here. There are examples of dual ownership of clubs throughout Europe.Giampaolo Pozza being the prime example who owns Udinese, Watford & Grenada.Why are the SFA opposed to it if UEFA arent?

Shouldnt all UEFA countries have similar legislation? If not what's the point of UEFA?

The cynic in me tells me this SFA legislation is to protect ra hoops to prevent meaningful competition from other clubs in this country.

The SFA will not beat Ashley and they know it

I am very happy the SFA stopped Ashely in his tracks otherwise there was no way back for us. I hope the SFA win and all these arrogant so called business men realise the sport is bigger than them.

I am very happy the SFA stopped Ashely in his tracks otherwise there was no way back for us. I hope the SFA win and all these arrogant so called business men realise the sport is bigger than them.

Have they stopped him? Will they be able to stop him?

Not sure how you can say that pete. Ashley for all his evils could have put us back at the top of Scottish football in no time, because of his preference to keep mum about all his dealings he may well have wiped the floor with the opposition in this country cementing a place in the CL and all that.

He wants worldwide success for his Sports Direct baby, something he's never quite gained with Newcastle FC, maybe he bought the wrong club.

The SFA stopped him because they are 'Celtic minded' people, can't have a billionaire involved in Rangers and taking over our organisation and all that.

Not sure how you can say that pete. Ashley for all his evils could have put us back at the top of Scottish football in no time, because of his preference to keep mum about all his dealings he may well have wiped the floor with the opposition in this country cementing a place in the CL and all that.

He wants worldwide success for his Sports Direct baby, something he's never quite gained with Newcastle FC, maybe he bought the wrong club.

The SFA stopped him because they are 'Celtic minded' people, can't have a billionaire involved in Rangers and taking over our organisation and all that.

The sooner we get this parasite out of our club totally the better I will feel.