Fraser Aird...remember him?

Frasier Aird is an extremely poor footballer. A 'winger' who is completely incapable of dribbling, skills and creating goals and he also rarely scores. I'm all for the youth getting a chance but we shouldn't have to play them over 80 times before we realise they do not have the necessary quality. It's not like Aird just doesn't quite come up to scratch, he offers absolutely nothing and should never have got anywhere near the first team. A club who rarely ever give youth a chance yet the one player who gets an abundance of chances is absolutely woeful. Only at Rangers! It's a shame we didn't put the same effort into Barrie McKay as he has far more natural ability. If he had been playing regularly the past three seasons who knows how he would be now? Given he's almost 21 it seems the boat has sailed now.

We have had a lot of players in recent years where 90 minutes go by and you can't remember one single tangible contribution that they made. These players often seem to occupy the wide midfield areas. We rarely seem to know what to do in these positions, you get the impression rather than using these areas to attack, they are areas where we throw another body onto the park. We regularly see defenders, attackers and central midfielders occupying these roles. For example both Lee McCulloch and Peter Lovenkrands used to regularly occupy the wide left area and I would rarely notice they were playing. The first was mainly down to a lack of ability, the latter was down to a mixture of inconsistency and poor management. When Lovenkrands was much better when played through the middle.

Aside from the fleeting, exciting appearances of Sone Aluko and Vladimir Weiss, we haven't had a consistent wide player at the club since Neil McCann. Even McCann I remember being frustratingly inconsistent, though those were the days when inconsistency didn't mean 10 + bad games for every good one!

He had basic potential, the club did hee haw to develop that. We've an appalling record of developing players

For me the worrying think is that these guys (McKay I'm think of; good touch, quick, technical, good interplay, but not too strong -- hopefully it'll come!) could be left out because they don't conform to the typical Scottish type of strong, tall and powerful. It's like Jack Harper at Real: he obviously has talent, but the Scottish coaches omitted him because he wasn't tall or strong enough. I think it's an out-of-date worldview. We need to move on. To do that we need a coach that is knowledgeable in this area, not another former Scottish-based player.

For me the worrying think is that these guys (McKay I'm think of; good touch, quick, technical, good interplay, but not too strong -- hopefully it'll come!) could be left out because they don't conform to the typical Scottish type of strong, tall and powerful. It's like Jack Harper at Real: he obviously has talent, but the Scottish coaches omitted him because he wasn't tall or strong enough. I think it's an out-of-date worldview. We need to move on. To do that we need a coach that is knowledgeable in this area, not another former Scottish-based player.

It's not only out of date, it's prehistoric. The Scottish national team (apart from a recent up turn) and Scottish clubs get horsed on the big stage because we have an ignorant mindset towards modern football. Our techniques and philosophy are about 30 years out of date.

This applies to the British game as a whole, English football has so much money though that the foreign players and coaches will keep their game relatively modern at club level.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

It's not only out of date, it's prehistoric. The Scottish national team (apart from a recent up turn) and Scottish clubs get horsed on the big stage because we have an ignorant mindset towards modern football. Our techniques and philosophy are about 30 years out of date.

This applies to the British game as a whole, English football has so much money though that the foreign players and coaches will keep their game relatively modern at club level.

Agreed. I think the fans have to take some of the blame. We have not given players the time in the past. hopefully it's changing now though. Scotland in general is living in the past.

What's the answer? Cathro? (Not him as such, but that type.)

The Harper decision was strange given who the national team manager is and the fact we hardly have a tall 'A' team....

As for Aird, he looked reasonable enough at times but his limitations became obvious enough over time which is why he eventually struggled to influence games. We really are crying out for someone decent on the right of midfield as we completely lack balance in the team because of it.

As usual though we can hardly plan for next season when we don't know what league we're in and we don't know who'll be managing the team.

Seasons

2012/13 - 22 games, 3 goals, 2 assists

2013/14 - 37 games, 7 goals, 10 assists

2014/15 (thus far) - 22 games, 2 goals, 5 assists

He was - injuries aside - IMHO "sacrificed" for Lewis Macleod, who was out-sourced to the left-side of midfield to accomodate an underperforming Law and Black in the middle, then Hutton under McDowell. Once Macleod went, he had a few games, but never really convinced. His style is rather predictable, similarly to Gregg Wylde's. He could have been used as a free roving attacking midfielder (much like Templeton and Vuckic should), but either wasn't fit or not fancied for any role. The arrival of Walsh and McCall's use of Shiels, the utility of Vuckic and soon Ferguson will probably prevent him from that many more games. He's still only 20 and it remains to be seen where he will end up. His contract runs till summer 2018.

Edited by der Berliner

He's done quite well for us at times while playing absolutely shit the rest of the time. I don't rate the lad at all.

I don't think he got so many games for us because he was good enough, but because his face fitted for Ally and the magic clipboard.

He's done quite well for us at times while playing absolutely shit the rest of the time. I don't rate the lad at all.

I don't think he got so many games for us because he was good enough, but because his face fitted for Ally and the magic clipboard.

I think thats unfair comment,hes just a lad as you say.Playing in the worst Rangers team in history.