John Carver says defender 'got sent off on purpose'

Newcastle United manager John Carver thinks his defender Mike Williamson was sent off on purpose as an "easy way out" in their 3-0 defeat by Leicester.

The centre-back was shown a second yellow for barging Jamie Vardy when the pair were off the pitch, while Daryl Janmaat was also sent off later on.

"I thought he'd done that on purpose - it looks like he did," Carver said.

"The ball was off the pitch - he had no need to make the challenge. He will miss two games. Is it an easy way out?"

Carver had not calmed down by the time of the post-match news conference.

"I thought he meant it. When the ball went on to that left-hand side my first reaction was don't do it. He did it. Vardy was off the pitch, Willo was off the pitch. There was no need to do it and I'm not accepting that.

"I told him that to his face. I don't want to go into his reaction."

Of his side's other red card, Carver said: "I got 'keeper Tim Krul to speak to Daryl Janmaat, I told him to stay calm and he didn't. The game had gone away from us. We can't keep shooting ourselves in the foot."

The Magpies have lost eight consecutive Premier League games under Carver, who is in charge until the end of the season.

Newcastle conceded a Leonardo Ulloa goal after 38 seconds and a Wes Morgan strike in the 17th minute. Ulloa sealed the game after the break from a penalty.

Carver was furious with his side and in honest post-match interview said:

"On a scale of one to 10, it is a minus 10."

"I asked if everyone understood their roles and responsibilities. I can't go and mark men on the pitch myself."

"If we're not willing to compete, get your head onto the ball and risk getting an injury, you won't get anywhere."

"We'll have an open discussion on Monday - it'll be interesting."

"There might have been players who didn't try - maybe they don't think they'll get a new contract or be here next year. But they're getting paid and should try."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32567112

Understandably angry but I agree with what Martin Keown said in the article:

'Carver is out of his depth'

Former Arsenal centre-back Martin Keown on Final Score was not impressed with the Newcastle manager.

"When you're in a position like Newcastle are in, you have to stick together, but John Carver is digging players out. There was a lack of desire granted but he is out of his depth at the moment."

"It's not just about demanding the effort. He needs guidance on how to behave because he is taking players apart. Just don't say it. If he was an experienced head, a long-term manager, he wouldn't do that."

Mike Ashley is a cheap bastard who gets the cheapest managers in he possibly can and pays the lowest premiership salary by a mile. Pardew was on £500k, bet Carver is on quite a bit less.

it's no coincidence that Newcastle have gone from being regulars in European competitions to facing their second relegation under him.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I'd love to see them go down

I was kind of hoping to see Villa go down.

A lot of pundits were saying Newcastle were already safe with 35 points, no way were they after Sunderland, Leicester and Villa having all winnable games yesterday. I thought Hull were going to be the 3rd team to join Burley and QPR but they have won 2 and I fancy them to get another point off Arsenal tomorrow. Therefore Newcastle could be heading down. They only thing going for them is they have decent fixtures.

Because they are Newcastle United or because you hate Ashley?

Both :D Nah to be honest I've never been a massive fan of the Magpies and since Ashley got 'involved' with us my dislike for them has risen. They think they are bigger than they actually are in my opinion

I was kind of hoping to see Villa go down.

A lot of pundits were saying Newcastle were already safe with 35 points, no way were they after Sunderland, Leicester and Villa having all winnable games yesterday. I thought Hull were going to be the 3rd team to join Burley and QPR but they have won 2 and I fancy them to get another point off Arsenal tomorrow. Therefore Newcastle could be heading down. They only thing going for them is they have decent fixtures.

Sunderland have very tough fixtures but remember what they did last year! I was actually the same as you - I dont like Villa much either so kind of wanted them to go. Benteke has kept them up almost single-handed

Edited by Whosthedado