Helicopter Sunday Was Rigged

Ha ... Felix Magath was playing for Germany! There is the connection! For he sure was hanging about in the days of Helicopter Sunday already! Establishment I tell you!

Back in the real world, Magath is about to become manager of Austria Vienna, according to some Austrian paper. (Which was of course part of the deal in above's conspiracy!)

There have been several cases through the years of teams transparently playing out mutually-beneficial results at the expense of rivals, most notoriously at the 1982 World Cup finals in Spain when West Germany’s 1-0 win over Austria took both countries through to the next round and eliminated Algeria.

More recently, Hibs and Rangers were content to expend minimal attacking effort in the closing stages of their match at Easter Road on the final day of the 2004-05 season. The 1-0 win for Rangers earned them the SPL title ahead of Celtic, while the scoreline was also sufficient to ensure Hibs qualified for Europe at the expense of Aberdeen.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/kilmarnock-won-t-contrive-last-day-draw-1-3771161

There have been several cases through the years of teams transparently playing out mutually-beneficial results at the expense of rivals, most notoriously at the 1982 World Cup finals in Spain when West Germany’s 1-0 win over Austria took both countries through to the next round and eliminated Algeria.

More recently, Hibs and Rangers were content to expend minimal attacking effort in the closing stages of their match at Easter Road on the final day of the 2004-05 season. The 1-0 win for Rangers earned them the SPL title ahead of Celtic, while the scoreline was also sufficient to ensure Hibs qualified for Europe at the expense of Aberdeen.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/kilmarnock-won-t-contrive-last-day-draw-1-3771161

Bringing our name into disrepute, willingly and on purpose. I'd ban this paper / journalist and those doing the BBC stuff until they clear this rubbish up.

Edited by der Berliner

From FF

Rangers and Hibs should sue here. Neither side went into that match knowing that 1-0 Rangers would suit them both. In the event, it was only because celtic and the sheep got pumped in the other games that it turned out that way. I can't remember who exactly was playing in the other top 6 game, but if Aberdeen had not lost to say St.Johnstone then Hibs needed to beat us. And of course, if celtic had beat Motherwell then our result would've been irrelevant. So no rational person could say they were cheated.

However BBC Scotland are not rational people, and this is how urban myths start. In a few years it will have become accepted fact that we carved up the title illegally with Hibs, just like how it is accepted fact that we cheated the taxman to win 9-in-a-row, and that we had a sectarian signing policy for 100 years. This must be challenged.

... and very true indeed.

Perfectly correct.

Well, we won 1-0 but both teams did settle for that result with around ten mins to go.

However, the point is, neither set out for that result at the start of the match as some sort of pre-conceived agreement.

That point seems to be lost on some!

Wan't it the West Germany v Austria scandal at Spain 82 that he presided over?

Yes you are quite correct, old age getting to my memory, 2004 was way too late for Bob Valentine, I once ran the line for him at Motherwell, so has to have been way back then :facepalm:

He was the referee who adjudged that Derek Johnstone handled the ball on the line in the 1977 Cup Final v Celtic; Andy Lynch scored the only goal of the game from the resultant penalty kick.

Perfectly correct.

It is correct in the way it is presented, but it also omits very pertinent facts which would make the actual situation a whole lot clearer. Facts such as that the 1-0 win for us, whilst being as much as we could do to stay in contention, would have been irrelevant if Celtic had done their job. Likewise, the result would not have worked to Hibs advantage had Aberdeen done their job. The above, whilst being factually correct, is implicitly suggesting that Hibs and Rangers cheated that day.

The way the above reads is that there was a concerted effort to "cheat"

I suppose the way they are looking at it is that if Hibs had beaten Rangers then Celtic would have won the league even in defeat.

I admit I would have been pissed off as well to lose the league that way but why has it taken 10 years to come up. Secondly I don't think anyone can put Celtic and morality in the same sentence.