Exclusive: Karl Robinson rejects advances of Rangers

Thursday 14 May 2015

KARL ROBINSON, the MK Dons manager, has made known he is not interested in joining Rangers after discovering he was a potential target of the Ibrox club.

Herald Sport understands that the highly-rated 34-year-old is seen as fitting the bill in terms of the new direction the directors want to take Rangers, following the past four seasons, and that he was made aware of their admiration for the job he has done with his current club.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/exclusive-karl-robinson-rejects-advances-of-rangers.126022014

Right club, wrong time: MK Dons boss Karl Robinson resists Rangers overtures to become Ibrox manager

MK DONS manager Karl Robinson has made it known he is not interested in joining Rangers after discovering he was a potential dugout target for the Ibrox club.

We understand that the highly-rated 34-year-old is seen as fitting the bill in terms of the new direction the directors want to take Rangers after four turbulent seasons on and off the park.

A source close to Robinson said it was a case of "right club, wrong time".

Instead, he is expected to sign a long-term deal with the team he has led to the Championship for the first time in their short history.

Current Ibrox boss Stuart McCall has admitted there is a chance he would not be given the job on a full-time basis even if he can steer the club through the SPFL Championship play-offs and back to the Scottish Premiership.

However, he remains in pole position, especially if he can deliver top-tier football.

Rangers face Queen of the South at Ibrox on Sunday and have a 2-1 lead in their second-leg play off, with the winners taking on Hibernian.

For Rangers to even be considering Liverpudlian Robinson reveals what the club's regime believe is way forward.

Robinson enjoys an excellent reputation down south for the way he has built MK Dons up from the bottom having taken over from Paul Ince five years ago who he had served as an assistant manager.

He is credited with creating a thriving youth set-up and scouting network, and Under 21 team, which is exactly what Rangers are looking to create.

In over four years he spent just £100,000 on players and raised £4.5million; figures that would appeal to any board of directors and especially one at a club which has thrown away so much money over recent times.

Robinson was the Football League's youngest manager when he was appointed as Ince's successor five years ago at just 30. He began is coaching career at Liverpool where he worked with the youth team and went on to work with Sam Allardyce at Blackburn Rovers. Injury curt short his playing career and at 29 he became the youngest ever holder of the Pro-Licence.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/right-club-wrong-time-mk-dons-boss-karl-robinson-resists-rangers-206726n.126024804

We're obviously not going down the DoF route, which I would've preferred, but actually bringing in a manager (although I think he is more of a coach type?) who has the ability and track record of developing a club from the bottom-up could be beneficial over the next few years. Once we have a better 'base', we can then think about new structures.

With respect to McCall, i'm just glad we're looking at other managers.

While I agree with that the timing could have been a bit better rather than during the play offs.

With respect to McCall, i'm just glad we're looking at other managers.

Agreed.

Will be hugely disappointed if McCall is kept on. He is not the answer.

We need a whole fresh new approach. Stuart McCall does not give that in any way shape or form. He's just more of the same.

While I agree with that the timing could have been a bit better rather than during the play offs.

Standard stuff for us when is comes to press coverage, anything to try and disrupt the team. Although this time in particular I dont think it can come as a surprise to anyone. The team have performed better in that I dont think we would have been in this position if Mcdowell stayed, but at the same time McCall has shown he is most likely not the man to help us progress next season no matter where we are.

Agree entirely. This week we seem to have had the press attempting to destabilise the club, Ashley wants his money back (shock horror - someone gives a loan and wants to be repaid), Shota Aveladze transfer fee was understated and now we are considering other managers - all just days before the play-off date.

Certainly wouldn't mind a manager like Karl Robinson though - young, talks well, great track record, develops youth - Definitely ticks the boxes for me.

and here was me thinking , maybe pep if munich bag him ach well I will take another couple of tablets and I might see the special one asking for the job :confused:

Edited by compo

Agree entirely. This week we seem to have had the press attempting to destabilise the club, Ashley wants his money back (shock horror - someone gives a loan and wants to be repaid), Shota Aveladze transfer fee was understated and now we are considering other managers - all just days before the play-off date.

Certainly wouldn't mind a manager like Karl Robinson though - young, talks well, great track record, develops youth - Definitely ticks the boxes for me.

This week? Every week! ...not to sound like there's a conspriacy against us or anything. :)

Whilst one of these stories may get in the head of the current manager, I wouldnt expect any of them to disrupt the players'. They do a good enough job of disrupting themselves.