French striker William Stanger has left Rangers by mutual consent after failing to establish a place in the first team.

The 21-year-old arrived in Glasgow from Rennes last summer but made only one appearance as a substitute.

He was signed by former manager Paul Le Guen and failed to secure a move to Swedish side GAIS in January.

Stanger told the Rangers website: "I think it was better for me to leave as I am not playing just now and I am not in the new manager's plans."

Good riddance?

I wouldn't say good riddance per say. He came in as one for the future and it hasn't worked out, obviously Smith does not see him getting in the team any time soon.

But he's left with a bit of class, talking up the club and what he has gained from being here.

Unlucky it didn't work out with GAIS, but good luck for the future.

What's the point though? The lad was a striker and we've not given him a chance in the first team. God knows we've been crying out for more strikers so I'm really bemused as to why PLG never gave guys like Stanger and Ashikodi a run-out.

Good luck to the lad, but I really wish we'd stop signing these young promising players and then punting them on without ever giving them a chance. They can't all be that bad can they?