Can Dave King ensure Rangers rule again?

This isn't a revolution. It's more like the beginning of a recovery. The disease that infected the club has been beaten - for now - and we're hopefully on the path to return to good health.

The illness that knocked us for six was so bad though that no-one can be sure that we will recover to become what we used to be.

Think of that tackle on Ian Durrant. Was he the same player afterwards that he was before? This is what the club has been through, a damaging trauma, and full fitness may be beyond us.

Rangers has been damaged as a football club and as an institution. The extent of the damage may only be known in a few years when hindsight provides a clearer view.

We're definitely some way short of a recovery and may only be undergoing diagnosis now.

However, we can help with the recuperation and just need King to administer the correct medicine.

But it's in the football side that we have to do something different to distinguish ourselves from the run of the mill. Something less than obvious, and not just spending more than the rest - the best that will get us is around the top of a very poor standard of league and nowhere in Europe. If it manages to make us win half the honours in Scotland, or slightly more, then I'm sure we'll keep a substantial following for a while, but it is sure to steadily decline over a generation while people drift to watching a higher standard of football on the telly from England and elsewhere.

The above from Calscot is absolutely key for me. The other points were spot-on also, but they're mostly a formality -- hopefully! What I don't want is for us to go back to what we were doing before: outspending Scottish sides to win the League but get nowhere in Europe. We need to go down a different route. We need to be a bit more intelligent in the way we spend our money. I'd like to see us adopt a more Ajax, Barcelona-type model; where we develop our youngsters technically so they (and the club) can compete with European teams; where we start playing a better brand of football. Scottish football is stuck in the past. We should take the lead.

I note there has been considerable interest in whether Dave King will remain in situ' to Chair Rangers?

I doubt it, South Africa has the same time zone as the UK, directly due south. Thus, all decisions and indeed discussions can be conducted in real time. A strong Chief Executive appointment will ensue and Dave will be absentee for most of the time. Of course, his presence will be mandatory for a number of issues(and at this point I must credit a fellow Bear on the Herald forum, John Mercer), "Rangers participation in the Champions League, Annual title celebrations, and of course, Charing Referee briefings". Our separated brethren collapsed into fulminating meltdown at that superb retort.

I doubt it, South Africa has the same time zone as the UK, directly due south. Thus, all decisions and indeed discussions can be conducted in real time.

Not quite mate. I've got family living very near where Dave King stays and I'm pretty sure there's a 2 hour time difference. They're a couple of hours ahead.

Not quite mate. I've got family living very near where Dave King stays and I'm pretty sure there's a 2 hour time difference. They're a couple of hours ahead.

One hour ahead in your summer, two hours in your winter.

An excellent summation Frankie - the media hypocrisy is a totally irrelevant sideshow.

King now shoulders a considerable responsibility (not of his own making I may add) - but the reality is many fans are at the end of their tether. If he fails to deliver on his promises I think it will truly be the end of this model of ownership for our club.

Perhaps worse.

An excellent summation Frankie - the media hypocrisy is a totally irrelevant sideshow.

King now shoulders a considerable responsibility (not of his own making I may add) - but the reality is many fans are at the end of their tether. If he fails to deliver on his promises I think it will truly be the end of this model of ownership for our club.

Perhaps worse.

I doubt King would want to perpetuate the sugar daddy millionaire model. We've seen it's unsustainable and King must have as well. Hopefully with RF and RST building up share numbers, king (and the rest of the board) will do their best to facilitate moves towards fan ownership

I doubt King would want to perpetuate the sugar daddy millionaire model. We've seen it's unsustainable and King must have as well. Hopefully with RF and RST building up share numbers, king (and the rest of the board) will do their best to facilitate moves towards fan ownership

You're right.

King has already stated that he will not be proferring all of the investment required. He has intimated that it would be more like a 50-50 split with T3B and others.

He has also stated that he does not want to see Rangers under the control of a single person again, and that he welcomes fan investment.