John Greig has been named as Honorary Life President of Rangers

As title. http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9324

THE CLUB can tonight confirm that John Greig has been named as Honorary Life President of Rangers.

During his 18 years as a player, Greig was a massive figure at Ibrox and was recognised as such when the support named him the club's Greatest Ever Player.

He was an inspirational captain who lifted the European Cup Winners' Cup, beating Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the Final in 1972 and played in three Treble winning sides.

His honours with Rangers include five Championships, six Scottish Cups and four League Cups. He also captained his country and won 44 caps.

Greig speaking from the Rangers Trophy Room inside Ibrox said: "It's a tremendous honour and one that I am very proud of.

"When I think back to the many great people who have passed through this club over the years and if this was available in their time, they would have also been very strong candidates.

"I am very humbled by the appointment."

Rangers Chairman Dave King said: “We are absolutely delighted that John has agreed to accept this position. He epitomises what this club should always be about.

“I think it's very important that he is seen. Certainly in my view, he represents the history of the club and he represents the value system that I think we all want to take the club back to.

"I see that as the more iconic and symbolic status of having John Greig and having someone who represents the fullness and the richness of the Rangers experience.”

Greig, a skilful and versatile player who turned in top performances at full back, wing half and inside forward during his career, experienced the glittering prizes early in life. But he has also known the lean years.

When times were difficult and Celtic were enjoying success under Jock Stein, Greig saw it through. As captain of Scotland he was a target for top English clubs, but Greig stayed with Rangers.

That loyalty and his strength of character meant that he, more than anyone, came to embody the spirit of Rangers. He commanded enormous respect for his playing ability and for his passionate will to win, qualities close to the hearts of the supporters.

Following his playing career, Greg was appointed as manager of the Club in 1978 replacing Jock Wallace.

He went desperately close to winning the Treble in his first season. Rangers won the Cup, beating Hibernian 3-2 at the third attempt, and the League Cup 2-1 against Aberdeen. But when leading the table they lost 4-2 at Celtic and the chance of the League was gone.

Rangers had also enjoyed a good run in the European Cup, beating Juventus and PSV Eindhoven before going down 2-1 on aggregate to Cologne in the quarter-finals.

Rangers were to win another Cup and League Cup under Greig, but the team were unable to make an impression in the championship.

He resigned in October 1983 and was replaced by previous manager Jock Wallace.

Greig, who received the MBE for his services to football, had been one of the most important and influential personalities in the history of the club and in 1990 he returned to Ibrox as public relations officer.

Following the arrival of Dick Advocaat, Greig worked closely with the Dutchman as virtually part of the coaching staff. Alex McLeish also utilised Greig's experience in his early months and the legendary figure was also subsequently a member of the board at the club.

Greig took some time away from coming to matches at Ibrox until after the EGM and the change of regime in March of this year.

Edited by BEARGER

Not the best footballer I ever saw in the blue though better than many gave him credit for but the most versatile and definitely the greatest Ranger.

Anyone beat this for all round achievement? Selected at full back, wing half and inside forward (right and left in all the positions) as well as centre half and temporary, acting centre forward. Didn't play on the wing but surged up the touchline when required.

Very well deserved honour.

I bow to more experienced Bears who insist Greig was sheer class and deserving of his greatest ever Ranger title, but in my time follow following I have yet to be impressed by anything he has said or done, and some of the stories I have heard of his time behind the scenes over the last couple of decades imply he adds very little, if anything, to the club.

An easy PR move but I am looking for the board to make more important appointments that will really matter to our club going forward.

I bow to more experienced Bears who insist Greig was sheer class and deserving of his greatest ever Ranger title, but in my time follow following I have yet to be impressed by anything he has said or done, and some of the stories I have heard of his time behind the scenes over the last couple of decades imply he adds very little, if anything, to the club.

An easy PR move but I am looking for the board to make more important appointments that will really matter to our club going forward.

On the face of it,your comments are probably true.

However,to recognise loyalty and decency is surely no bad thing.?