Rangers want to sign the biggest name in European football

Rangers want to sign the biggest name in European football - Julen Etxabeguren Leanizbarrutia, the 24-year-old former Real Sociedad defender who has left East Fife after five months with the League Two club - but six Premiership clubs are also interested.

(The Sun, print edition)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32926539

Joking aside, he appears to be the right type: technical and can play in a variety of positions; he's obviously been taught how to play the right way in the Real Sociedad B team. It's certainly one of the most encouraging rumours I've seen.

Apparently, yes.

That may rule him out for moving to a full-time club then.

I'm all for interesting signings but first team players need to be totally focussed on Rangers and not anything else.

That may rule him out for moving to a full-time club then.

I'm all for interesting signings but first team players need to be totally focussed on Rangers and not anything else.

I'd happily see him studying in his time off training rather than the stuff our home grown yoofs get up to (and indeed, see him playing football in his time away from studying rather than the stuff our home grown students get up to).

I'd happily see him studying in his time off training rather than the stuff our home grown yoofs get up to (and indeed, see him playing football in his time away from studying rather than the stuff our home grown students get up to).

Fair point mate but I guess it may depend on what course he's doing.

I'm just getting in my moaning early.

THE biggest name in European football is heading for the Scottish Premiership.

East Fife boss Gary Naysmith has told SunSport he's recommended free agent Basque defender Julen Etxabeguren Leanizbarrutia to a host of top flight bosses and also a good few in the Championship.

And the former Hearts, Everton and Scotland ace says he’ll be amazed if the player he simply calls ‘Jules’ – he never attempts to pronounce the rest of his extraordinary name – doesn’t land a deal with one of our elite 12 clubs.

The 24-year-old is a free agent and two years ago was listed in Real Sociedad’s Champions League squad.

He came to Scotland last year to study engineering at Edinburgh University – but was also keen to continue playing on a part-time basis.

East Fife gave him the chance and from January he played 15 games for the League Two club, including both play-off games against Stenhousemuir.

Naysmith said: “We’d loved to keep Jules and have tried to get him to stay. We were ready to make him the highest paid player at the club.

“But he’s looking to play full-time now and I’ve recommended Jules to plenty of managers in the Premier League and Championship.

“When he first came in to train with us I realised immediately he was a top player.

“I also said publicly that we should enjoy him as a player while we had him.

“Jules has been different class. I can’t speak highly enough of him.

“There are a good number of clubs looking at him. There’s no doubt in my mind he can play at the highest level in Scotland.

“Jules is a very clever boy and speaks English perfectly.

“I was fortunate to have a good career at club and international level and I’d like to think because of that I’m able to judge a player. Jules is a quality player.

“He’s talented with both feet and you can tell he’s come from the set-up of a top club.

“Jules has been playing with us for next to nothing in between his studies. His professionalism has been tremendous. He’s been very popular about the club.

“I really hope he can get a good move. I think Jules is ready for it.”