Guidetti: I quit Celtic because goals in Scotland don't count for much

John Guidetti says he had to leave Celtic because his goals for the Scottish champions didn't count for as much as they would in other leagues.

Speaking to the Swedish press, the striker has stated that there were too few "big games" in the Scottish calendar to get him recognised by his national side.

Quoted by Swedish newspaper Expressen, Guidetti said: "I was taken out of the national team after scoring, I think it was 11 goals in 10 matches, but I did not play.

"Then I understood. It felt like my goals at Celtic were not counted in the same way as in other leagues and I can understand."

He added: "We played Inter and the stadium was packed. It was the most magical atmosphere I have experienced. But there are too few big games in Celtic.

"So I felt that my goals were not counted in the same way as in another league. There are too few 'big games'."

Despite a strong start during his loan spell at Parkhead, with five goals in his first nine Premiership games, Guidetti's form and time on the pitch came to an abrupt halt in January.

A lack of first team games came as a result of the Swedish international telling manager Ronny Deila of his decision to leave the club in the summer.

"I would start, but the day before the game he [Deila] said I would sit on the bench because I was not going to stay at the club," Guidetti said. "He said he would focus on the players who wanted to be there.

"The coach said that we can't play you if you keep scoring goals and we build up your value, and then you leave the club."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/1322363-john-guidetti-i-quit-celtic-because-goals-in-scotland-dont-count-for-much/

Aside from their fleeting appearances in Europe, they will have no big games until we are back and able to compete with them.

Don't worry though, Peter has his wish of dominating Scottish football ( all except trebles that is !! ).

Don't worry though, Peter has his wish of dominating Scottish football ( all except trebles that is !! ).

Agreed.

The winning of the Scottish title has been belittled these past years, thank god the 'treble' hasn't.

Edited by Bearman

I believe the yahoos had already put up the price of their ST's on the assumption we were getting promoted.

Looks like there'll be lots of empty seats & dubious attendance figures once again at the Giro dome next season.

Once upon a time Guidetti was the calibre of player who would jump at the chance to play for celtic. No longer.

Now they are being reduced to signing second rate Scottish players and third rate foreigners, because nobody else will want to go there.

Missing us much, lhads?

Can you post vines?

Not at the moment, as the standard video embedding plugin doesn't support vine, but I should be able to add a vine embedding mod in the BB Code Manager. I'll take a look.

Edited by Zappa

Once upon a time Guidetti was the calibre of player who would jump at the chance to play for celtic. No longer.

Now they are being reduced to signing second rate Scottish players and third rate foreigners, because nobody else will want to go there.

Missing us much, lhads?

This is a very valid point RPB.

Who will sign for them and run the risk of not being successful in a third rate league without Rangers in it?

Look at their recent flop signings & flop loanees such as Boerrigter, Tonev and the Ghanian winger whose name I can't remember.

Where do they go now? They're all out their way out. Not exactly going to be getting EPL offers are they?

This is a very valid point RPB.

Who will sign for them and run the risk of not being successful in a third rate league without Rangers in it?

Look at their recent flop signings & flop loanees such as Boerrigter, Tonev and the Ghanian winger whose name I can't remember.

Where do they go now? They're all out their way out. Not exactly going to be getting EPL offers are they?

What Celtic are doing, and doing exceptionally well it has to be said, is identifying top quality prospects from all over the place, buying them for peanuts and moving them on for a handsome sum as soon as they can. They are now every bit as much a selling/feeder club as Dundee Utd or Hibs. That is their future; downsizing and bargain basement shopping.