Jackson - Rangers Next Captain?

Warburton is doing exactly as I hoped he would, without necessarily exciting me with the "names".

We needed to strengthen the spine of the team and with Wilson, Kiernan and Eustace that is exactly what he is doing. Could be doing with a keeper, striker and creative midfielder and the spine would be set - we also, at the same time, need to recognize that a new manager with a new philosophy may also get far, far more out of players such as Templeton, Law, McKay, Aird, Clark. In that regard, we need to give Warburton a bit of time to properly assess what he has and how he can use them.

Remember, our STYLE of play for the last 3 years hasn't suited players such as those above as we continued to lump high, diagonal balls up front.

A change in philosophy may see a renewed lease of life for some of those above. Likewise, it may not.....

I wouldn't expect much out of Templeton, Law, Aird and Clark. The latter two are very poor players and the first two have some ability but very rarely do they show it.

But this is my point SBS..... Look at Templeton for example. His last game before he signed with us he played very well for Hearts against Liverpool, scoring at Anfield... he then signed for us and looked like a Sunday league player - Is that down to the player, the coaching, the style of play or a bit of all 3 ? Probably all 3. But with a new manager in, new philosophy and, hopefully, a new enthusiasm for the game, then all of those players could improve.

Warburton was successful enough at the Watford Academy so he gets Aird at a decent age where he can improve him. Clark doesn't do it for me either and I will admit neither does Law - but with anew brand of football (hopefully) they could turn their Rangers career around.

Stranger things have happened. I personally will keep an open mind on all of them and, for now, trust Warburton & Weir.

But this is my point SBS..... Look at Templeton for example. His last game before he signed with us he played very well for Hearts against Liverpool, scoring at Anfield... he then signed for us and looked like a Sunday league player - Is that down to the player, the coaching, the style of play or a bit of all 3 ? Probably all 3. But with a new manager in, new philosophy and, hopefully, a new enthusiasm for the game, then all of those players could improve.

Warburton was successful enough at the Watford Academy so he gets Aird at a decent age where he can improve him. Clark doesn't do it for me either and I will admit neither does Law - but with anew brand of football (hopefully) they could turn their Rangers career around.

Stranger things have happened. I personally will keep an open mind on all of them and, for now, trust Warburton & Weir.

I think Law is the only player we could get anything close to a half decent season out of. Law hides all the time but did improve quite a bit once McCall joined. Templeton must have about one decent game a season. No point keeping him whatsoever. Aird and Clark just shouldn't be anywhere near the club - they don't have any ability.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I think Law is the only player we could get anything close to a half decent season out of. Law hides all the time but did improve quite a bit once McCall joined. Templeton must have about one decent game a season. No point keeping him whatsoever. Aird and Clark just shouldn't be anywhere near the club - they don't have any ability.

Using Charlie Adam as an example though (and I wasn't his biggest fan either) - he proved that with a different philosophy and approach you CAN get more out of players. He looked lost when playing under WS but looked a different player under PLG - and then when he went to England.

I'm by no means saying that any of the ones I mentioned WILL all of a sudden turn into world-beaters - but given we still have them on the books, I am happy enough to wait and see how, and indeed if, Warburton can get them playing better - and also if he can improve them as players. Aird, Clark and Templeton are still young enough to develop.

All I'm saying is that I personally would like to take a "wait and see" approach - whilst you would prefer to scrap them.

I'm in favour of giving the players another chance. Most, if not all, have not stepped up at all, but to be fair we've not really had a change in approach. The three Micks were of the same mold. A fresh approach, fresh eyes and ideas, might just spark the players into life. It's patently obvious that a managers philosophy has a huge affect on how a player performs. I say, lets wait and see.