Petrofac Training Cup Round 1: Hibs v Rangers

We had 15 possible opponents in the south section and we could have drawn any of them home or away, so before the draw started that was say 30/1 that we'd draw Hibs at Easter Road. Multiply those odds by the fact that we drew them in the 1st round last season and those odds get even bigger.

In a random draw, the chances of drawing Hibs was no different to the chances of drawing any other team. It's like the lottery. The odds on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8, 14, 19, 32, 41, 49 are equal.

It does seem obvious that the draw was fixed for reasons of television coverage at a time when there is no other football being played.

Numbers I'm the lottery don't come out evenly. For some reason certain numbers come out far more frequently.

There are always fluctuations in any series of random events, over time, with large numbers of events, it all evens out to close to the expected probability distribution.

If there is bias in the system, that will also eventually show, but with the lottery, they have put a lot of effort into keeping it pretty much a flat distribution and so I doubt there will be more than slight perturbations in the long term.

I've written a load of statistical simulations which show this. In fair throws of a coin you could get 20 heads in a row but over say a hundred thousand, it will get very even. Do it often enough and you could get a thousand in a row, but over the whole series, it will still come out pretty even. The fluctuations you see will on average peak at the square rood of the number of samples.

In a random draw, the chances of drawing Hibs was no different to the chances of drawing any other team. It's like the lottery. The odds on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8, 14, 19, 32, 41, 49 are equal.

It does seem obvious that the draw was fixed for reasons of television coverage at a time when there is no other football being played.

I saw the draw being conducted and I'd remove your "obvious" and replace it with 'predictable online bullshit'.

It is very common for teams to get drawn against each other a disproportionate amount of times within a relatively short time period.

eg. for Rangers in recent years,........ read Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup and Falkirk in various.

I saw the draw being conducted and I'd remove your "obvious" and replace it with 'predictable online bullshit'.

It is very common for teams to get drawn against each other a disproportionate amount of times within a relatively short time period.

eg. for Rangers in recent years,........ read Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup and Falkirk in various.

You could also replace it with 'predictable offline bullshit' as I said the same in 'real life' to a mate of mine. :tu:

I read somewhere that someone had won millions in the Lotto for a second time. What are the odds on that happening.

They won the millionaire raffle part of it twice - the odds must be in the billions.

Edit - after some research (i.e. typing it into Google), Camelot claimed that it was a 283 billion to 1 shot, but:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/euromillions-double-winners-chances-of-winning-twice-might-not-be-as-slim-as-they-seem-10152213.html

Edited by SteveC