Petrofac Training Cup Round 1: Hibs v Rangers

Further to my previous post.

The 10 outfield Hearts players that started the Petrofac tie with Livingston last season had an average age of 19 and thus given I can't remember any Hoo-Har about Hearts playing an understrength team, then a precedent has been set.

Edited by buster.

It is unlikely that MW will yet know what players will make up his strongest team when the Hibs game gets played. We may not win at Easter Road but the manager will probably learn more than if we had been drawn against a lesser team at Ibrox.

MARK WARBURTON wants his Rangers side to focus on their own preparations rather than worry about Hibs after the two were paired together in round one of the Petrofac Training Cup.

In a reverse of last year’s first round tie, the Light Blues will travel to Easter Road on July 25, however that date may be subject to change for television purposes.

And while acknowledging that the tie is one to look forward to, Warburton is insistent that his team concentrate only on themselves in the build-up.

He explained: “We’ll prepare the same as we would any other game. Obviously we respect who we’re playing every single time, but it’s not going to change our focus or our preparation. We’ll get ready the best we can every single time we play.

“It’s really important from our perspective that we don’t prepare any differently. Our mindset has to be the same for every game that we go into, and we have to recognise that if our standards drop, we’ll have a problem.

“It’s really important that we set our standards exceptionally high, prepare well for the game and then take that on to hopefully delivering a good performance.

“I’m not going to turn around and say I have an in-depth knowledge of Hibs, but my knowledge is decent.

“I’ll look at their games in the coming weeks, but it is about us. Yes, we’ll do our homework, but it is about us looking to impose ourselves on every game that we play.”

Some may view the trophy as the lowest of Rangers’ priorities for this campaign, but Warburton certainly doesn’t see it that way, and he is determined to go all the way this year.

He continued: “Any trophy we go into, and it doesn’t matter what it is, we go in to win it. That’s the right thing to do, and if you don’t do that, it’s a weak mentality.

“We’ve got a good programme leading up to the start of the season, so it’s imperative for us to prepare well and we look forward to the game.

“The boys are back in and are training well. There is a lot of work ahead of us, but their mentality and approach so far has been outstanding.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9541-warburton-well-focus-on-ourselves

Edited by chilledbear

Statistically quite unlikely

We had 15 possible opponents in the south section and we could have drawn any of them home or away, so before the draw started that was say 30/1 that we'd draw Hibs at Easter Road. Multiply those odds by the fact that we drew them in the 1st round last season and those odds get even bigger.

I honestly think we should just put the kids out. The league should be our one and only priority in my opinion

I kind of agree, but I really don't think Warburton will treat it that way. I can't see him putting out a team full of kids in his first competitive Rangers game as the new manager.

We had 15 possible opponents in the south section and we could have drawn any of them home or away, so before the draw started that was say 30/1 that we'd draw Hibs at Easter Road. Multiply those odds by the fact that we drew them in the 1st round last season and those odds get even bigger.

15 times 15 then.