I appreciate the time taken to provide some background to this individual called Phil. At first, I thought that I might be naive not to know of him but now I feel glad that I had no knowledge of the guy. He is obviously a despicable individual. I must confess to still being puzzled at devoting time and space to someone like him. Does he really carry much influence outside of people who are as unpleasant as he seems to be?

His absolute hatred of everything to do with Rangers is clearly evident. To me he clearly crosses a line so often I simply cannot comprehend how he evades the long arm of the law without some sort of assistance from somewhere.

His tactics are often to put out a lie often enough that people will start to believe it. The 'new club' nonsense is one such example whereby despite all the rulings from people and organisations whose opinions matter stating we're not a new club he will continue to state the opposite.

My own view to deal with the likes of McGillivan is that we should have got ourselves a high profile CEO not afraid to pick fights with these types of individuals & organisations when they overstep the mark & make these accusations. I'm sorry but the recent MD appointment of Stewart Robertson doesnt seem to me to be the type to do that. I'd have gone for someone like Gordon McKie

Edited by RANGERRAB

The Book Review alluded to in the OP was a good read; out of date in many respects, but quite balanced. Other journalists clearly see his anti-Rangers agenda, and indeed his whole life shouts anti-Rangers; it's quite unbelievable, it's like a parody: "There is little too that is ordinary about the book’s author, Phil Mac Giolla Bhain, a Glaswegian of Irish descent who has chosen to live in Donegal for the best part of the last 20 years and who, along the way, elected to use the Irish Gaelic version of his surname." His whole life has been guided by a certain point-of-view that almost makes his animosity towards Rangers inevitable.

To be fair, I don't care. There are many that hold that opposite views, and they're equally contemptible and sad. Ultimately, he is a blogger. His words pass the eyes of too few people for him to be of any consequence. Let him jump on his soapbox all he wants: No one is listening. In fact, by challenging him we are giving him a bigger platform. I appreciate his words are offensive and insulting, but do they have any influence?

http://www.scottishreviewofbooks.org/index.php/back-issues/volume-8-2012/volume-eight-issue-four/522-what-s-the-score-kevin-mckenna

Now and again I wish Rangers were stronger in how they deal with mad Phil but ultimately he, his compatriot Bill and the tiny RSL are irrelevant and their profile is only boosted when folk discuss their attention-seeking blogs.

We should absolutely be aware of our enemies but neither should we let them dictate the narrative when there are often much more important issues to discuss.

Now and again I wish Rangers were stronger in how they deal with mad Phil but ultimately he, his compatriot Bill and the tiny RSL are irrelevant and their profile is only boosted when folk discuss their attention-seeking blogs.

We should absolutely be aware of our enemies but neither should we let them dictate the narrative when there are often much more important issues to discuss.

Thats the impression I got reading that paragraph Frankie, I got the feeling of a sense of acquiescing towards this individuals foul mouthed rants against both our club and support.

Thats the impression I got reading that paragraph Frankie' date=' I got the feeling of a sense of acquiescing towards this individuals foul mouthed rants against both our club and support.[/quote']

Did you grow up in a bubble?

Foul-mouthed rants against a rival club and support has been the norm since the game started. Only in these days of ultra sensitivity and faux offendedness has it become an issue. The internet is a wonderful thing.....but for some of the cretins who are allowed to access it without being supervised by a carer.

Thats the impression I got reading that paragraph Frankie' date=' I got the feeling of a sense of acquiescing towards this individuals foul mouthed rants against both our club and support.[/quote']

I don't think we should yield to any Rangers hater but neither do I think we should give them undue attention.

Like I say there's a fine line between dealing with lies (which our club apparently can't or won't do) and creating exactly the kind of self-fulfilling attention these people are after.

The problem with someone like Phil is that he's clever enough to err on the side of caution so that a) the polis aren't interested in a 'foreign' blog and b) the club can't take legal action.

I'd rather just laugh at him and ignore folk like Bill. They're discredited and should be irrelevant.

Edited by Frankie

Did you grow up in a bubble?

Foul-mouthed rants against a rival club and support has been the norm since the game started. Only in these days of ultra sensitivity and faux offendedness has it become an issue. The internet is a wonderful thing.....but for some of the cretins who are allowed to access it without being supervised by a carer.

Aye, Im sure the suggestion by 3 names that King offered Ashley his shares should come under the heading of normal football banter.

Edited by D'Artagnan

Aye' date=' Im sure the suggestion by 3 names that King offered Ashley his shares should come under the heading of normal football banter.[/quote']

What should it be filed under?

There are likely to be half a dozen folk at most who know whether the claim has any veracity. I doubt if any of them have the least bit interest in some attention-seeking fantasist.