Malmo vs Ra Sellick

The reality is that we can expect no help from Scottish football. Liewell wanted to dominate Scottish football and he got his wish - the result has been abject failure on the European stage.

He has vacuumed most of the talent from around Scottish football to bolster his ranks and the result is a disaster, for his team and other Scottish teams. The level of competition in Scotland has been eroded and this is being exposed in Europe.

Celtic have been exposed as a team with very little quality and value, period.

As Warburton says, with respect to other teams, Rangers will worry about Rangers. When we win we will pull the rest of Scottish football along with us - at both club and international level.

That is how the co-efficient will rise, and hopefully give Scotland more than one successful team in Europe.

I would think 6 group matches, then last 32, last 16, last 8, last 4 and final equals 15 matches so 30 points possible?

Perhaps but that's not how I interpreted the wording. It only explicitly says you get points for wins and draws in the group stages. That makes a maximum of 12, plus one point for each round acheived, which adds another 5.

You may be right but it's not clear from the wording. I'll dig a bit further.

Looking through last year's points for Barca and Aberdeen, I think you're right. So my apologies.

It seems it should say 2/1 pts for win/draw from group stage onwards...

Edited by calscot

Looking through last year's points for Barca and Aberdeen, I think you're right. So my apologies.

It seems it should say 2/1 pts for win/draw from group stage onwards...

You definitely get points for win/draw in the latter stages, I was looking for anything about points per round as well and couldn't see it. If you are correct about that then it's a maximum 35?

You definitely get points for win/draw in the latter stages, I was looking for anything about points per round as well and couldn't see it. If you are correct about that then it's a maximum 35?

Yes, that adds up. :thup:

Just thinking that that's 37 points maximum you get for winning the EL and 38pts the same as the maximum for the CL.

The CL get an extra point somewhere, I think they get 4 points for qualifying from the group and then another point for being in the 2nd round...

It's all a bit confusing.

Edited by calscot

It isn't just about one off specific seasons, it's about collectively trying to get both of us boosting the coefficient over the 5 year period. I wouldn't be confident about either of us beating anyone in Europe as things stand, so adding in an extra qualifier just looks like another mountain to climb. The Maribors and Malmos of the world have shown they're comfortably better than both of us (when our wage bill was much bigger too and we had many internationalists) and I could see poorer sides than them knocking us both out too. Plus the further we sink the less likely we are to ever get back the second CL spot.

Thanks for the replies! It's all very confusing.

I thought that similarly 'ranked' teams (teams with a similar co-efficient) would play each other, otherwise it seems unfair? So, in a pure hypothetical situation: if every side was ranked according to their co-efficient (doesn't matter where/how the points are acquired), then seeded with similarly ranked sides. So we, because of our poor rank, would go into pot 5 say (pot 1 = CL group, pot 2 = play-off, pot 3 = 3rd QR, pot 4 = 2nd QR, pot 5 = 1st QR), and we'd then play those poor pot 5 sides in the 1st QR and move on to play pot 4 sides etc. as we win each round. Our level (the quality of our side) might actually be pot 2, but because the co-efficient is so low we get demoted down. Therefore, in that situation, would it not be better to win the every round until the play-offs, rather than entering at the play-offs an losing?

I suppose then it matters where/how the points are acquired? Is it more for entering and losing at the play-offs, or more for winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds then losing? But then according to Calscot, one gets points depending on where you exit, so it would actually be better to enter the play-offs and lose rather than win 3 rounds. So, actually, we do need the co-efficient to be better, to get more points. Seems very unfair.

However, it is down to us. We have to make sure we are better, and have to try to get as far as possible.

This year's CL seeding for the draw ...

Pot 1:

Barcelona, Chelsea, Bayern, Juventus, Benfica, PSG, Zenit, PSV

Pot 2:

Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Porto, Arsenal, Man Utd, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, Manchester City

Pot 3:

Shakhtar Donetsk, Sevilla, Lyon, Dynamo Kiev, Olympiacos, CSKA Moscow, Galatasaray, Roma

Pot 4:

BATE, Borrussia Monchengladbach, Wolfsburg, Dinamo Zagreb, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Gent, Malmo, Astana

Before anyone asks, Pot 1 contains league winners.

It almost makes you wish that they were still in the competition, they would be slaughtered.