Arsenal & Gers Aim To Improve Gedi

a9de825f7e3ae316160ad9f1667ec901_XL.jpg

ARSENAL and Mark Warburton are on a mission to improve the highly rated talent of Gedion Zelalem.

The 18-year-old was recently featured in an article listing the top 10 teenagers in the world right now but according to him that doesn’t mean he is the finished product.

He feels he is already developing under the man management of his new boss and his parent club are combining with Rangers to move his game up to the next level.

Zelalem said: “Arsenal always text me when there is a scout coming to watch so they know I am progressing, even in training because they talk to the gaffer so they know how I’m training.

“That would be the first-team coaches speaking to the manager here and they will watch my games too so hopefully Arsene Wenger will get good feedback about me.

“The problem with some clubs is that they put your out on loan and forget about you but that is where Arsenal are different; it’s not just me they keep an eye on everyone and don’t forget them.

“Mark Warburton has told me I need to work on my defensive game, trying to get up to the ball quicker and tracking my runners – all stuff you have to do at the top level, especially in the Premier League.

“That was what he was saying to me in those pictures of us sitting down on the training field, that Arsenal know I am good on the ball and creating chances but they want to see more from me defensively.

“It helps that the manager talks to you individually so that you know what he wants from you, especially as a young player.”

Zelalem’s stint at Ibrox is his first taste of full time first-team football and he confesses it hasn’t been a seamless transition from the Premier League’s under-21 level to the Scottish Championship.

That doesn’t mean he’s not enjoying it though and he thinks the pressure and expectancy of Ibrox is not only developing his overall game but preparing him for a career at the Emirates.

The midfielder continued: “This is very different; the pressure is really high, especially here where it’s maybe on you more than at other teams.

“There are 50,000 fans that will get on your back if you’re not performing well, so it is different pressure but it’s good for me.

“Having a crowd there is definitely a lot more motivation because in an under-21s game you can become quite complacent.

“That level is good for development when you are 16 or 17 but when you are 18 or 19 you have to push yourself to go out on loan and play first-team football.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/10121-arsenal-gers-aim-to-improve-gedi

He was poor in my opinion v Livingston, played too far forward, a lot of missed passes and caught in possession. Gave up too easily and as stated didn't track back. I think his game is best suited to playing the passes and coming forward from the centre circle area a la Arteta who has quarter- backed Arsenal very successfully from that position. Arsenal may well see Zelalem as his natural successor.

That said I think he needs to know that he is not an automatic choice in our team and I wouldn't start him against Dumbarton.

He was poor in my opinion v Livingston, played too far forward, a lot of missed passes and caught in possession. Gave up too easily and as stated didn't track back. I think his game is best suited to playing the passes and coming forward from the centre circle area a la Arteta who has quarter- backed Arsenal very successfully from that position. Arsenal may well see Zelalem as his natural successor.

That said I think he needs to know that he is not an automatic choice in our team and I wouldn't start him against Dumbarton.

Arteta's Arsenal career has been very average IMHO. I think they have better players to "QB" than Arteta, even when he first arrived. Arteta hasn't been an attacking force i.e. "coming forward from the centre circle" for quite some time.

Zelalem, at this stage, isn't as good as Arteta was at the same age in my opinion, but he has bundles of technique and with the proper coaching will do very well for himself in football.

What i have noticed is he is always looking for the ball and is extremely good on it, sometimes he does give away a stray pass now and again. but can drift a little if he isn't getting the service. But his work rate is generally good,, He has the ability to increase everything to another level though, just hope we have the time and privilege with him, to see that happen.

On Saturday, I think, like any creative player, he struggled to create when there was such a lack of space while the wingers also struggled to get into the game.

He's a young lad so he'll learn from the experience and I'm sure the likes of Law and Shiels will be eager to step in if called upon.

On Saturday, I think, like any creative player, he struggled to create when there was such a lack of space while the wingers also struggled to get into the game.

He's a young lad so he'll learn from the experience and I'm sure the likes of Law and Shiels will be eager to step in if called upon.

I think Law should start v Dumbarton if not certainly v St Johnstone and as you say, Shiels has been good value for any time he has had on the pitch.

I think Law should start v Dumbarton if not certainly v St Johnstone and as you say, Shiels has been good value for any time he has had on the pitch.

Law flatters to deceive for me. Almost epitomizes the headless chicken. Nice finish at the weekend though. Zelalem is a far better player than Law or Shiels. I'm happy for Zelalem to retain his place.

I thought Shiels was very poor against Ayr Utd in the Cup - poor conditions but I thought his distribution was very poor.

It was fine in the main stand at Ayr!

It was nowhere near as bad as Livorno, which is the worst soaking I have ever had, with a close second the game at the old Tynecastle around '91 or so when Hateley scored a last minute winner (1-0) and we were in the uncovered terracing behind the goal and it absolutely chucked it down all day. We were soaked in the walk from the farm about 1.5 miles away where they parked the buses in those days, never mind the standing about for 90 minutes, then the walk back. Some of our guys left a couple of minutes early to start the walk back to the bus and missed the goal so got drenched for nothing!