Purple strip yesterday

It sounds like marketing. However, I'd suggest that teams nowadays need third kit which is slightly out there. A team should wear a Home shirt at Home matches and Away kits at Away matches. When a team reaches Europe then if an Away strip clashes with the Home Kit of the opposition -- or vice versa -- then I think one needs a slightly different third kit.

Although, I like the tradition in what BH said: "...Rangers should always play in some combination of red, white and blue." I suppose red (Third kit) and White (Away kit) would be sufficiently different to negate any clashes?

I think one of the issues here is describing the kits as "home" and "away". Those of a certain age will recall that it always used to be the home team that changed if there was a clash of colours and the strips only used to be changed every three years, then it became two years, then they changed one very other year and now they all seem to be changed every year. I also seem to recall rules that described the first kit/home strip as "registered colours". So Rangers registered colours would be (royal) blue shirts, white shorts and black sox with red tops. The detailing/piping isn't an issue. Then there would an alternative or "first alternative" strip, which if you look back to the old pictures was generally white (with blue piping) or blue and white stripes in the early 60's.

I am with those who say that the alternative strips should be a mirror image of the registered colours, so white with blue and red detailing would do for me, or red with white and blue detailing if you prefer.

If you have a blue or red strip as your first two choices it is hard to imagine many circumstances where you would need a third choice, except perhaps playing Barcelona, when white tops would work.

If the away strip clashes with the home strip of the host team then BOTH should wear their home strip.

Nothing more than a money-grabbing exercise by Clubs these days. The fans pay plenty through ST's and regular merchandise without having a 3rd strip to buy at exorbitant prices !

Agreed. All teams need an alternative strip but the rest is just marketing.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

If the away strip clashes with the home strip of the host team then BOTH should wear their home strip.

Nothing more than a money-grabbing exercise by Clubs these days. The fans pay plenty through ST's and regular merchandise without having a 3rd strip to buy at exorbitant prices !

Nobody has to buy it.

C'mon, it's like a Victor Meldrew appreciation society meeting on this thread. Okay, we've got a third strip because it's no longer 1982, teams have three strips, sometimes four, that's how it works these days. They change every season, again, that's just how it is here in the 21st century.

Why not purple? As long as our home strip has blue shirts, white shorts and red and black socks what does it matter the colour of our third strip? Rangers change strips don't have to be red, white or blue or a combination of the three, they just don't. We've had pin stripes, sashes, quarters, halves, broad stripes, hoops, collars and cuffs, chevrons, we've had all one colour, we've had four different colours at the same time, we've had white, red, light blue, dark blue, purple (imagine, the horror...) black, erm tangerine, aubergine we've had patterns on the sleeves, on the collars and in the fabric.

We wore our first purple strip two decades ago, that makes it a traditional colour for us now because that's older than some of our players. Fashions change, colours are in then they're out. I'm looking forward to the day we introduce green to our third strip, British racing green or maybe a khaki shade, probably with navy piping. It'll fly off the shelves I tell you...