Mark Warburton: Rangers not miles away from Celtic

RANGERS manager Mark Warburton was not surprised by the criticism he and his players received in the wake of their 3-1 home defeat by St Johnstone in the League Cup on Tuesday but he clearly believes that opprobrium has been as excessive as the praise previously lavished on them for their feats in Scottish football’s second tier.

He is hoping that it will be back to business as usual when the Championship leaders face Morton at Cappielow tomorrow but, while willing to reflect on the first reverse of his tenure at Ibrox, he was also quick to defend himself and his squad.

Warburton is an affable individual but he appeared exasperated at times over what he perceived to be the negative slant of the questioning and, as a counter balance to that, claimed that his side are not far away from being able to match Premiership champions Celtic.

“We made three mistakes on Tuesday,” he said. “For the first goal the cross shouldn’t come in, for the second the set-up at the corner wasn’t as we had always practised and the third one just shouldn’t happen.

“Danny Wilson would be the first to say that but he’s been outstanding all season. He and the other lads have been great but they’ll learn from these errors.

“We all do it. I can pick the wrong team or have the wrong training session. We have an open forum here and if the training session is poor then they can say: ‘That was awful’ – I have no problem with that.

“The only way you learn is through making mistakes and we’ve learned more from Tuesday. We were angry and frustrated that we’ve lost a game of football but we move forward.”

When it was suggested that Tuesday’s result suggests that Rangers are a long, long way from being able to compete with Ronny Deila’s side, he could not have disagreed more.

“I wouldn’t agree with the use of five ‘longs’ – and I don’t mean that in a sarcastic way,” he said. “You can say we are miles away from them. I don’t think so. I’ve just been asked [by the broadcast media] whether I can restore our confidence and belief.

“We’d won eleven out of eleven before Tuesday and we’re now top of the league so I don’t think that confidence is something that needs to be restored.

“We are in good shape right now. But we have got to learn. If we play on Sunday and the following week and the week after and make the same errors then it is a different discussion, that is for sure.

“But that can’t be allowed to happen. That is our job as a squad of players and a group of staff. We’ve got to make sure we learn from it.”

Warburton also revealed that he has not given up hope of signing John Eustace and suggested that, even if the veteran cannot prove he is fit enough to earn a contract as a player, he may appoint him to the coaching staff.

Eustace, 36 in November, has not kicked a ball in anger since sustaining a knee injury playing for Derby County, was first identified as a signing target in June and has spent the last three months at Murray Park, attempting to achieve optimum fitness.

“John is a really honest pro,” said Warburton. “If he thought there were any doubts we would have a frank discussion. At the end of the day, it’s not a gentleman’s club, it is a business and we have to do what’s right.

“I very much hope it will happen. John is in the gym, I just walked past him there. He’s working tirelessly. I have no doubts about the quality he will bring to us.”

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/mark-warburton-rangers-not-miles-away-from-celtic-1-3898875#ixzz3mon2WWy5

If we can get ourselves a couple of 25 goals per season strikers then we will be more than ready to challenge the yahoos next season, assuming we're promoted of course.

We must remember too that the yahoos are nowhere the side they were when we last played them in the old SPL 2011-12. Their best players have all since gone & they've had some spectacular failures trying to replace them.

I also suspect there's a bit of mind games going on here too with MW trying to provoke some sort of reaction from them.

The Dhims finances are in ever decreasing circles with crowds down, revenue down and out of the CL early. Our crowds are increasing, the squad is getting stronger and we are now playing a modern fast paced passing attacking game. Next season all going to plan, we will meet them on our upward trajectory by then there won't be many signs saying "mind the gap"

The Dhims finances are in ever decreasing circles with crowds down, revenue down and out of the CL early. Our crowds are increasing, the squad is getting stronger and we are now playing a modern fast paced passing attacking game. Next season all going to plan, we will meet them on our upward trajectory by then there won't be many signs saying "mind the gap"

What saved the Yahoos' books this season is the transfer of van Dijk to Soton, they have a knack to get such transfers done.* Then again, they could not beat Hearts at home today, though Aberdeen stumbled more badly at ICT. I for one won't get too far ahead of myself here though. We are still some 10 months away from possible Premiership football. "No-names" like Waghorn and Tavernier have come to us and performed well above expectations. I reckon Warburton will find enough gems in the Championship or elsewhere to continue his rebuilding project, gems well capable of beating players of the format currently plying their trade in the top tier in Scotland, Yahooland or otherwise.

*If he goes on like he does right now, perhaps we can sell Waghorn for 6m in two years to some EPL moneythrowers too? :fish:

We will still need 3 or 4 quality players to put a serious challenge to the yahoos but that is by no means insurmountable

Agreed,and I'm sure W&W are well aware of that,I think it will be easier to attract quality players when we are in the top league and a possible Eropean carrot to dangle for potential signings

We will still need 3 or 4 quality players to put a serious challenge to the yahoos but that is by no means insurmountable

Agreed,and I'm sure W&W are well aware of that,I think it will be easier to attract quality players when we are in the top league and a possible Eropean carrot to dangle for potential signings

When DK was interviewed a few weeks ago he stated he thought we required 6 or 7 new players for next season. A few days later MW said 5, they know now who to get.