After Walter Smith left the club in 1998 nobody it can be said with hindsight that we went off track.

We were the domestic force by a country mile for a long period of time but not able to compete with the big boys of Europe so an alternative route was taken. Domestic success wasnt enough.

It started with a bang with Dick Advocaat in charge. We missed out on our 10th title in a row the previous season which sent us in to the UEFA cup in 1998/99. We matched the mighty Parma that season and retained our league title - we were champs again.

This continued into the next season and we competed in Europe with 3 teams from the top shelf - once again Parma, PSV and Bayern - the latter being extremely lucky to get anything off us. Only Valencia out classed us this year and we missed out on the next stage which really was a downfall moment. But the title was retained.

The next season we all expected more of the same however it couldnt have went worse. Our midfield which was a match for anyone up and down the country and contributed to around 35+ goals a season was totally sold off. Some of them wanted to leave to join bigger clubs (which has back fired) but some wanted to stay. In replacement we were told better players were coming in, however we got an aging midfielder from Hibs (Latapy), a midfielder that didnt kick a ball for us (Nerlinger) and an aging striker from Dundee (Canniggia) - nothing near to what we had just sold off.

We were battered in the league by Celtic.

We were soaked with debt and had to downsize dramatically. A young scottish manager came in (McLeish) and didnt have an open cheque book like his previous managers. However he still signed a high quantity of players but never seemed to know what to do with them. In the next 5 seasons we won 2 titles which could easy have went the other way. But he still gave us a number of trophies but a mighty glamours side we were not.

Teams would come to our fortress and no longer be intimidated, instead they were capable of matching us.

We were no longer winning old firm games left right and centre like we were used to - infact we were struggling to win them home or away while being left trailing in the league.

We decided to go for a top Euro coach which delighted every Blue Nose and many expected a fix over night. Many were sensible and expected a fix over a period of at least 4-6 months and some expected a fix in a year.

But nobody expected us to go backwards. We didnt think the previous season could have been worsened however it.

In europe however, we were doing ok and broke into the last 16 of the CL and this season we are no means out of the last 16 of the UEFA. - This was 1 bright spark from our depression run.

Something happened back stage in the dressing room that we wont end up finding out but it forced us into another change in manager.

We brought back the man who has lead us to so much domestic glory and the master of getting the better of Celtic - CAN HE DO IT AGAIN?? And can he return us to the Summit of Scotland where we should be??

But Walter will certainly patch up a few wrongs that we have like defensive weaknesses and any dressing room splits. But importantly he will have the players playing for the jersey again. Along side him this time is a cult hero in Govan and our record goalscorer - Mr McCoist who knows more than anyone what its like to pull on the blue jersey.

I believe he has came in at a good time as the league was gone and domestic cups were gone and he has this few months to find out what he needs in the team. Not much pressure on him except to get us 2nd spot in the league which we are favourites for.

So roll on August where we can begin afresh again and this time next year we hope to be back on top.

Guest loyal and blue

I was just glad to see Le guen away, but dont lets kid our self that we will be much better next season the problem is right into the foundations of the club and the type of buys that are being muted will not solve anything when you watch the likes of Arsenal Bolton, Utd Reading we are light years away but of we will continue to turn up ever week God knows when it will get better

I was just glad to see Le guen away, but dont lets kid our self that we will be much better next season the problem is right into the foundations of the club and the type of buys that are being muted will not solve anything when you watch the likes of Arsenal Bolton, Utd Reading we are light years away but of we will continue to turn up ever week God knows when it will get better

See what your saying mate, but WS and AM know the club inside out and i think Murray knows there can be no cover ups with these 2.

Maybe we shouldnt kid ourselves that Walter will wave a magic wand but he can guarentee that he will be aiming for us to be much closer to Celtic. I dont think we will lose or draw silly games under Walter like we did with Eck or PLG.

We cant compare ourselves with EPL sides. Lets just be grateful the debt is drastically reducing. Instead of comparing ourselves to Arsenal or Reading, lets look at Leeds and Hearts.

I never rated Smith much the first time round as he inherited most of the team and failed to renew players before it was too late. He also managed against a very lowly Celtic probably the worst ever. His tactics in europe are defensive being based on 11 players behind the ball.

I really hope for all bears he turns things round but i would have prefered another manager. Having Coisty in the dressing room can only be a good thing, but if he ever becomes a good manager remains to be seen.

all i expect from Smith is for him to steady the ship. Leguens departure so early in his tenure as manager has left us in a real hole and set us back 12 months.

I can see walter smith talking a step back after 2 or 3 seasons once we are back in contention for the league (maybe as director of football) with McCoist or even Andy McDowall taking over in the hotseat.

Just dont expect too much on the European front, as were in pretty bad shape at the minuteand theres one helluva rebuilding job to be done.

We have a long, hard and ardious (sp) task of returning to the domestic summit. We are light-years behind Craptic off and on the pitch at the moment, and this hasn't just happened. Bar for two fantastic and enjoyable last day title wins, we'd be staring at Craptic heading for 6 in a row.

WS and AM won't be able to turn this around overnight (no manager could IMO), in fact, WS stated today that he believes we are 5 years behind Craptic at the moment.

Until the majority of fans realise why we are going backwards then NOTHING will change. yes, we will win the odd domestic cup and league title, but we won't dominate Scottish football like we have in the past.

This is the question that we really need to ask ourselves. Are we content with the quality of Chairman, Board, Management and players that we currently have? Or do we want Rangers to develop into THE dominating domestic force and a real threat in Europe?

If it is option one, then we have EVERYTHING we need in place. If like me, it's option 2, we'll NEVER suceed whilst those in charge of option 1 are still in power at OUR club and supported bu the majority of our fans.

Cammy F

I never rated Smith much the first time round as he inherited most of the team and failed to renew players before it was too late. He also managed against a very lowly Celtic probably the worst ever. His tactics in europe are defensive being based on 11 players behind the ball.

I really hope for all bears he turns things round but i would have prefered another manager. Having Coisty in the dressing room can only be a good thing, but if he ever becomes a good manager remains to be seen.

I see your argument Pete, but IMO we could not have picked a better man in these circumstances to get us sorted out, but i don't see us being much better next season unless Sir David gives Walter some money to spend.

It's a long road ahead and we can only hope things will improve sooner rather than later :sigh:

Unless there's serious investment which gives us funds to buy players who are significantly better, then there's no quick fix to this. Under Smith I'm hoping that he steadies the ship and assembles a team which can mount a challenge to Celtic next season and at the very least make sure we get 2nd place comfortably. While we've been standing still, other SPL clubs have closed the gap on us.

We've got the basis of a good young squad, but that squad needs to be supplemented with a few experienced players and one or two special players who will cost more, probably come from Europe, but who can turn games for us. Given that the wage budget is now well under control, if we had the money to buy a couple of this type of players, we are now in a position to pay them without killing our finances. Of course, we'd have to persuade them to come to Scotland as well.